NBA Commissioner Emeritus David Stern, who spent 30 years as the NBA’s longest-serving commissioner and one of the best in sports history, died Jan. 1, 2020 at 77 years old. Stern suffered a brain hemorrhage on Dec. 12 and underwent emergency surgery. Per the NBA, Stern died with his wife, Dianne, and their family at his bedside.
Stern had been involved with the NBA for nearly two decades before he became its fourth commissioner on Feb. 1, 1984. By the time he left his position in 2014, a league that fought for a foothold before him had grown to a more than $5 billion a year industry and made NBA basketball perhaps the world’s most popular sport after soccer.
Here's a look back at what made him a legendary sports commissioner, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and icon in NBA lore.
* * *
- Reggie Miller: 'Stern was a true NBA fan'
- Isiah Thomas: 'Bold vision' for NBA marked Stern's tenure
- Kevin McHale: 'Visionary' approach helped Stern change league
- Patrick Ewing: Stern left the NBA 'in a great place'
- Charles Barkley: 'The world lost a legend today'
- Gregg Popovich: Stern was 'a force of nature'
- Marques Johnson: NBA's global expansion started with Stern
- Candace Parker: WNBA was Stern 'leveling the playing field'
- Broadcaster Marv Albert: Stern's legacy unmatched
- David Aldridge: Stern made the NBA a worldwide game
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: Stern was innovative and fearless
- NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman: Stern was 'destined for greatness'
- Masai Ujiri: Stern 'changed so many lives, including mine'
- Grant Hill: 'When I was hurt, he would check in on me.'
- Kevin Love: Stern 'knew where the league was headed'
Reactions to Stern's passing
- Twitter reacts: NBA legends, owners and more reflect on Stern
- Kareem: 'He's responsible for the worldwide popularity of the game today.'
- LeBron: Stern influenced game as much as Naismith
- Stern makes lasting impact on Heat, Riley
- Larry Bird: Stern 'lifted the NBA to new heights'
- Bulls.com's Sam Smith: Looking back at a unique tenure
- Warriors' Kerr, Myers discuss Stern’s immeasurable impact on the league
- Kings, Stern shared special bond
David Stern's career
- Stern's vision guided NBA's global reach
- 2014 Hall of Fame profile: David Stern
- NBA History: Stern becomes commissioner in 1984
NBA teams on Stern's passing
- Heat commemorate Stern's impact at AmericanAirlines Arena
- Heat family discusses Stern's legacy
- Knicks honor Stern with moment of silence at MSG
Team statements on Stern's passing
- Boston Celtics
- Brooklyn Nets
- Charlotte Hornets
- Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Detroit Pistons
- Indiana Pacers
- Miami Heat
- Milwaukee Bucks
- New York Knicks
- Orlando Magic
- Toronto Raptors
- Golden State Warriors
- Memphis Grizzlies
- New Orleans Pelicans
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Portland Trail Blazers
- Sacramento Kings
- Utah Jazz
* * *