Clippers Acquire Steve Novak From Houston Rockets
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
The Los Angeles Clippers today acquired forward Steve Novak from the Houston Rockets, Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor announced. In return, Houston will have the option to exchange second round picks with the Clippers in 2011.
The two-year NBA sharpshooter averaged 3.9 points while connecting on 34-71 three-pointers (.479) and 49-102 FG (.480) in 35 games played for the Rockets last season. Over the final five games of the 2007-08 campaign, Novak connected on 15-25 (.600) three-pointers en route to averaging 9.8 points per game during that stretch.
Steve is a terrific perimeter shooter who will definitely help open the floor and create more opportunities for our post players, stated Baylor. We are happy to bring him to Los Angeles.
Over his career, Novak has averaged 2.7 points and 6.5 minutes per game, while connecting on 67-152 FG (.441) and 47-110 3FG (.427). Novak also spent nine games last season with the Rio Grande Vipers, the Rockets NBA D-League affiliate, where he tallied 18.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game.
We are pleased to add Steve to our roster, said head coach Mike Dunleavy. He is an excellent shooter who will help us space the floor and keep defenses honest.
Originally drafted in the second round (32nd overall) of the 2006 NBA Draft, Novak enjoyed a record-setting four-year collegiate career at Marquette. Novak established new school records for career three-pointers made (354) and career free throw percentage (.931) while finishing 10th on the all-time Marquette list for career points (1,567). He also became the sixth player in school history to reach career marks of 1,500 points and 500 rebounds (524).
The Clippers new-look roster now stands at 13 players as Los Angeles has revamped its roster by adding a total of nine new faces for the 2008-09 season.
Below is an update of the Clippers off-season transactions:
- June 26: Drafted G Eric Gordon from Indiana University with the 7th pick in the NBA Draft
- June 26: Drafted C DeAndre Jordan from Texas A&M with the 35th pick in the NBA Draft
- June 26: Acquired the draft rights to G Mike Taylor from Portland in exchange for a 2009 second Round NBA Draft pick
- June 30: Extended qualifying offers to F Nick Fazekas and F Marcus Williams
- July 2: Signed G Eric Gordon
- July 9: Renounced rights to free agents G Dan Dickau, G Shaun Livingston, F Boniface Ndong, G Smush Parker, F James Singleton
- July 10: Signed free agent G Baron Davis
- July 15: Acquired F/C Marcus Camby from Denver in exchange for the option to exchange second round picks in 2010
- July 15: Signed C DeAndre Jordan and G Mike Taylor
- July 16: Withdrew qualifying offer to F Marcus Williams; Renounced rights to free agents F Quinton Ross and C Paul Davis
- July 23: Acquired G Jason Hart from Utah in exchange for G Brevin Knight
- July 28: Signed free agent G/F Ricky Davis
- July 30: Waived F Josh Powell
- July 31: Signed free agent F Brian Skinner
- August 1: Withdrew qualifying offer to F Nick Fazekas
- August 6: Acquired F Steve Novak from Houston in exchange for Houston to have the option to exchange second round picks in 2011