Clippers Sign Paul Davis
Monday, August 18, 2008
The Los Angeles Clippers today signed free agent center Paul Davis, according to Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced.
Paul Davis joins Baron Davis and Ricky Davis on the Clippers roster to bring the Davis count to an NBA tying three. Many teams rosters have had as many as three players with the same surname throughout league history, but none with four. The most recent example? The 05-06 Toronto Raptors, with Aaron, Alvin and Eric Williams.
Paul Davis was drafted by the Clippers with the 34th overall selection in the second round of the 2006 NBA Draft and appeared in a total of 53 games for Los Angeles over the last two seasons. The Clippers had previously renounced his rights on July 16.
Paul Davis, 24, averaged 2.5 points, 2.1 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 8.8 minutes in 22 games last season before having his season cut short by torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn lateral meniscus suffered in his right knee on Dec. 21, 2007.
A former stand-out at Michigan State University, the 6-foot-11 center has career averages of 2.0 points and 1.7 rebounds in 7.1 minutes.
The Clippers new-look roster now stands at 15 players as Los Angeles has revamped its roster by adding a total of 10 new faces for the 2008-09 season.
Below is an update of the Clippers off-season transactions:
- June 26: Drafted G Eric Gordon from Indiana University with the 7th pick in the NBA Draft
- June 26: Drafted C DeAndre Jordan from Texas A&M with the 35th pick in the NBA Draft
- June 26: Acquired the draft rights to G Mike Taylor from Portland in exchange for a 2009 second Round NBA Draft pick
- June 30: Extended qualifying offers to F Nick Fazekas and F Marcus Williams
- July 2: Signed G Eric Gordon
- July 9: Renounced rights to free agents G Dan Dickau, G Shaun Livingston, F Boniface Ndong, G Smush Parker, F James Singleton
- July 10: Signed free agent G Baron Davis
- July 15: Acquired F/C Marcus Camby from Denver in exchange for the option to exchange second round picks in 2010
- July 15: Signed C DeAndre Jordan and G Mike Taylor
- July 16: Withdrew qualifying offer to F Marcus Williams; Renounced rights to free agents F Quinton Ross and C Paul Davis
- July 23: Acquired G Jason Hart from Utah in exchange for G Brevin Knight
- July 28: Signed free agent G/F Ricky Davis
- July 30: Waived F Josh Powell
- July 31: Signed free agent F Brian Skinner
- August 1: Withdrew qualifying offer to F Nick Fazekas
- August 6: Acquired F Steve Novak from Houston in exchange for Houston to have the option to exchange second round picks in 2011
- August 7: Signed free agent G Jason Williams
- August 18: Signed free agent C Paul Davis