Celtics, SCVNGR Create Interactive Game
BOSTON, October 4, 2010 -- The Boston Celtics and SCVNGR announced today the creation of a new interactive location-based game, The Boston Celtics Trek. The special trek will reward fans who complete challenges at locations around Boston with points. Points will be accumulated and the fan with the most points will win season tickets for the 2010-11 season. Other prizes include a group suite night at TD Garden, free merchandise at Modell’s Sporting Goods, and other Celtics-themed prizes. The Celtics are the first NBA franchise to partner with SCVNGR to create a team-themed game.
"Celtics fans are following the team in large numbers on so many different platforms and this new trek with SCVNGR allows our fans to interact with the team in a whole new manner," Boston Celtics CMO Shawn Sullivan said. "The Boston Celtics Trek will allow fans to earn exciting prizes and show their Celtics Pride in a fun and engaging way."
The Boston Celtics Trek will run from October 4 through October 22, 2010. The trek takes place at dozens of locations in Boston, from Logan airport to Modell’s stores to the famous Red Auerbach statue. The points that are earned in the Boston Celtics Trek on SCVNGR accrue and puts fans in the running for some amazing rewards, including a pair of season tickets, a night for 18 people in a special suite box, discounts at Modell’s and much more. To learn more about the Celtics trek and rewards on SCVNGR, go to www.celtics.com/scvngr or visit https://www.youtube.com/bostonceltics.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the SCVNGR app from www.scvngr.com
- Open it up wherever you go in Boston and tap the special Celtics trek tab and head to the locations listed
- Complete the challenges at those places to earn points. For example, checking in gets you 1 point. Solve the jersey number puzzle at South Station or tell us the best place to watch a Celts game at Fanueil Hall and get 2 more.
- Points will be tallied up in a secret SCVNGR-Celtics Calculator Basement Room
- The top point-earners will earn special Celtics prizes.
“Bostonians love the Celtics,” said Chris Mahl, SCVNGR SVP and Chief Brand Alchemist. “We are excited to be able to bring that love right to their mobile phones wherever they go. Now Celtics fans can actually play a game with the Celtics at some of the most famous spots in the city. This is incredibly engaging content for us to add to our game layer, and to see the Celtics reaching out to their fan base through SCVNGR is awesome.”