Ford Keys to the Game: Celtics at Heat
Celtics 92, Heat 85
Kevin Garnett was the player of the game for the Boston Celtics, and he was the key cog in what wound up being the most important run that his team made in the entire game.
With the Celtics ahead by only one point with 2:12 remaining in the game, KG stepped into his comfort zone and drilled an 18-footer from just beyond the left elbow to pad that lead to three. On the ensuing Heat possession, James Jones clanked on a 3-pointer and Garnett skied high for the big rebound, tossed an outlet pass to Rajon Rondo who then found Ray Allen wide open for a transition 3-pointer. With Allen's three, the Celtics went ahead 89-83 with 1:38 left on the clock. That was the run that put Boston ahead for good, and it might not have happened with out the Big Ticket on the court.
Key Box Score Line
Kevin Garnett had his most impressive game of the season, making 11 of his 12 field goal attempts and scoring a game-high 24 points. He often looked like his old self in dominating at both ends of the court, and the Celtics couldn't be more excited to see that prior to the calendar turns over to December.
Box Score Nuggets
- Rajon Rondo (13 points, 11 assists) and Kendrick Perkins (14 points, 13 rebounds) both recorded double-doubles for the Celtics.
- Eddie House, Marquis Daniels and Brian Scalabrine all made one 3-pointer and finished with three points each off the bench.
- Boston dominated the paint for the second straight game, scoring 48 points in the lane.
- Miami scored 31 points in the first quarter, but only 34 points in the second and third periods combined.
- The Heat committed only 12 turnovers, but were limited to only 12 assists, just one more than Rajon Rondo alone.
- Only 28 points were scored by bench players in the game.
- Dwyane Wade scored a game-high 27 points, but the Heat were outscored by 14 points when he was on the floor, which was the worst +/- rating of any Miami player.
Quote of the Night
Paul Pierce on the importance of winning the first game of the Celtics' road trip: "The first one [on the road] is the big one. This was a big win for us. Miami is playing well at home. We started to rush things in the third quarter. We let them back in the game early in the fourth. Our bench was tremendous. It is a good win on the road against a quality ball club."