Daily News - January 11, 2018
Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty Images
**NOTE: The news clips and articles listed don't necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the Cleveland Cavaliers or their Basketball Operations staff, partners, or sponsors.**
Isaiah Thomas: Cavaliers' midseason lulls 'unacceptable'
Author: Joe Vardon
TORONTO -- There's something about the Cavaliers and the way they defend in the games leading up to a road date with the Raptors, and trying to fix the defense through a tough film session and practice at the Air Canada Centre's auxiliary gym.
This time, coach Tyronn Lue gathered the guys before practice Wednesday and showed them the first quarter of Cleveland's 127-99 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves from Monday night.
It was the Cavs' worst margin of defeat this season, and it was the second consecutive game in which they allowed a season-worst 127 points. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Isaiah Thomas fined $20,000 for clotheslining Andrew Wiggins
Author: Joe Vardon
TORONTO -- Cavaliers guard Isaiah Thomas was fined $20,000 for clotheslining Minnesota's Andrew Wiggins in the third quarter of a 28-point loss Monday.
Kiki VanDeWeghe, the NBA's executive vice president for basketball operations, announced the fine Wednesday.
Thomas was issued a flagrant-two foul for the play -- which came with 6:47 left in the third quarter -- drawing an automatic ejection. He apologized to Wiggins for striking him in the jaw/neck area, and said after the game that he was trying to go for the steal. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Is DeAndre Jordan worth the Brooklyn first-round pick Cavaliers acquired in Kyrie Irving trade?
Author: Chris Fedor
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The smiles are obvious when discussing the Brooklyn Nets' 2018 first-round pick -- the crown jewel of the Kyrie Irving trade -- with members of the Cleveland Cavaliers organization.
Even with the Nets playing better than some expected, piling up 15 wins in the first 40 games, the pick still looks destined for the top 10 in what looks like a star-studded draft. That makes it tough to envision the Cavaliers parting with it unless they receive a franchise-changing player, a term that has been used by decision makers for months..
Over the weekend Terry Pluto wrote about Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, a name that continues to be connected with the defensively challenged Cavs. - CLICK HERE to read full story.
More Daily Press Links:
- (1/11) Cleveland Cavaliers at Toronto Raptors, Game 41 preview and listings Cleveland.com
- (1/11) No Derrick Rose, Iman Shumpert, or lineup changes imminent for Cavaliers Cleveland.com
- (1/11) By the Numbers: Halfway Season-Highs Cavs.com
- (1/11) #CavsRaptors Game Preview - January 11, 2018 Cavs.com
- (1/11) Five Keys: Cavaliers at Raptors Cavs.com
- (1/11) Cavaliers notebook: League fines Isaiah Thomas $20,000; coach Tyronn Lue says no changes in starting lineup Akron Beacon Journal
- (1/11) Isaiah Thomas calls Cavaliers’ lulls unacceptable after eye-opening film session shows lack of effort Akron Beacon Journal
- (1/11) NBA fines Cavs’ Isaiah Thomas $20,000 for hitting Andrew Wiggins in throat Akron Beacon Journal
- (1/11) Cavs commentary: Team's problem is it doesn't play hard every night Medina-Gazette
- (1/11) Now healthy, the Cavs must figure out their identity with Isaiah Thomas and Tristan Thompson The Athletic
- (1/11) It's time for Kyle Korver to enter the Cavs' starting lineup The Athletic
- (1/11) Cavs clutch Nets pick with all their might Amico Hoops
- (1/11) Tyronn Lue opens Cavs practice with extensive film session to address defensive woes ESPN.com
- (1/11) Cleveland Cavaliers: 5 Goals for the Season's 2nd-Half Stretch Bleacher Report
- (1/11) Canton Charge rally falls just short against Iowa Wolves at G League Showcase Canton Repository
- (1/11) Canton Charge: Iowa Wolves clip Charge 100-97 at G League Showcase Akron Beacon Journal