Comcast SportsNet to honor Johnny "Red" Kerr and Norm Van Lier on Feb. 26
Network to honor the one-year passing of Bulls legends Kerr and Van Lier during Bulls telecast, along with additional featured remembrances on 'Chicago Tribune Live,' 'SportsNite' and CSNChicago.com
Chicago, IL (February 24, 2010) – On Friday, February 26, Comcast SportsNet will honor the one-year anniversary of the passing of two of the most popular figures in Chicago Bulls history: Johnny "Red" Kerr and Norm Van Lier. Comcast SportsNet will provide viewers with a tribute-filled evening on Feb. 26, which will include live coverage of the United Center's in-arena video tribute during the Chicago Bulls-Portland Trail Blazers game telecast.
Among the programming scheduled to honor the memory of these two basketball giants, Comcast SportsNet starts off the evening of tributes beginning at 5:30 PM on Chicago Tribune Live presented by Harris Bank as Kerr's longtime broadcast partner Tom Dore and Comcast SportsNet's Bulls studio analyst Kendall Gill join host David Kaplan to discuss the lives and careers of these two Bulls/NBA legends.
At 6:30 PM on SportsNite presented by GMC, Comcast SportsNet will air an extended video tribute, along with in-show bumpers chronicling the most memorable broadcasting highlights from their storied on-air careers. Then, at 7:00 PM, Comcast SportsNet carries the Chicago Bulls hosting the Portland Trail Blazers live from the United Center. During a break in first quarter of the game telecast, Comcast SportsNet will not go to a commercial, but instead will carry the in-arena Jumbotron tribute to Kerr and Van Lier as prepared by the Bulls. This feature tribute will also air during the 10:00 PM edition of SportsNite presented by DEX.
In addition, viewers are urged to visit Comcast SportsNet's newly-enhanced website, CSNChicago.com, for remembrance video excerpts from Chicago Tribune Live, SportsNite, along with a fan message board for viewers to post their thoughts and fondest memories of Johnny and Norm.
COMCAST SPORTSNET REMEMBERS JOHNNY "RED" KERR & NORM VAN LIER
(Friday, February 26)
- 5:30 PM – Chicago Tribune Live presented by Harris Bank (featuring guest appearances by Tom Dore & Kendall Gill)
- 6:30 PM – SportsNite presented by GMC (extended video tribute and video highlighting broadcast careers)
- 7:00 PM – Chicago Bulls vs. Portland Trail Blazers (L) (features live coverage of in-arena Jumbotron video tribute during first quarter of game)
- 9:30 PM – Toyota Bulls Post Game Live (complete post-game coverage and analysis; Kerr/Van Lier remembrances)
- 10:00 PM – SportsNite presented by DEX (complete recap of day in sports; re-telecast of United Center Kerr/Van Lier tribute)