NBA.com staff reports
Jul 4, 2017 9:45 PM ET
Chauncey Billups with drew his name from consideration to head the Cavaliers' front office, even though he was positioning for the job weeks before it was vacant. A source said Billups wanted more money than owner Dan Gilbert offered; the offer was believed to be in the $2 million to $3 million range annually. Billups did not confer with LeBron James or his agent, Rich Paul, a source said. James can be a free agent next summer, and could command a $209 million offer from the Cavs. Billups, 40, was the only candidate under consideration to replace former general manager David Griffin, who parted ways with the Cavs on June 19 after he and Gilbert could not agree on a new contract. For the time being, the group left behind by Griffin, led by 34-year-old Koby Altman, will remain in place. Perhaps indefinitely. Though he has no prior front office experience, Billups was going to have the title of president of basketball operations with the ability to hire a GM, sources said. ... Altman has served as acting GM since Griffin left and has been working closely with Gilbert on all trades and free agent signings. A source said Gilbert is impressed and comfortable with not only Altman, but front-office officials Brock Aller, Mike Gansey, and Tony Leotti. The source, who has knowledge of Gilbert's plans, said future GM candidates could emerge, but Altman could work his way into the role full time. He and Jon Horst, general manager of the Milwaukee Bucks (who is also 34) would be the youngest front-office executives in the NBA. The two players the Cavs have signed so far in free agency, Kyle Korver and Jose Calderon, are both older than Altman.
After seven years in Utah, I have decided to join the Boston Celtics. I know that will be tough to hear for Jazz fans — and I really want you all to know that you mean the world to me and my family. Over the past few days, I have been genuinely torn. And I know that this process isn’t easy on the fans, either. So I just want to be as straight up as possible about why I’m coming to Boston.
The Los Angeles Clippers, Denver Nuggets and Atlanta Hawks are seriously engaged in a possible three-team deal that would send Danilo Gallinari to the Clippers in a sign-and-trade, league sources told The Vertical. In the trade’s latest form, the Hawks would receive guard Jamal Crawford, center Diamond Stone and a future first-round pick, league sources said. The trade has yet to be finalized, and could include additional players and teams, league sources said. All-Star forward Paul Millsap reached agreement on a three-year, $90 million deal with Denver on Sunday and has been discussed in potential sign-and-trade scenarios between the Hawks and Nuggets, league sources said. It’s possible that Millsap could reach the Nuggets through a straight free-agent signing, sources said. ... Gallinari met with the Clippers over the weekend and came away impressed with the franchise’s direction, sources said. ESPN first reported that Gallinari was strongly leaning toward agreeing to a deal with the Clippers.And here's Wojnarowski's report on the trade as well:
The LA Clippers are working toward a sign-and-trade agreement with free-agent forward Danilo Gallinari on a three-year, $65 million deal, league sources told ESPN. The Clippers don't have the salary-cap space to sign Gallinari, but are progressing on acquiring him through a three-way trade with the Denver Nuggets and Atlanta Hawks, league sources said. ... The Clippers sold Gallinari, 28, on a frontcourt that includes him and All-Stars Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Gallinari could've waited until Gordon Hayward made his decision, expected on Tuesday, and had the opportunity to sign with the Boston Celtics if Hayward passed on them. Nevertheless, Gallinari passed and moved in the past 24 hours toward a deal with the Clippers. Los Angeles is trying to reboot its roster post-Chris Paul, and Gallinari is a floor-spacing shooter whom the Clippers have coveted for several years. Atlanta is moving toward a complete rebuild and Crawford will likely be waived before the season, allowing him to become a free agent. Stone was a 2016 second-round pick out of Maryland.* * * UPDATE: 1:49 p.m.: George Hill took to Instagram after the reported deal was announced to celebrate his new NBA city ...
There's a strong possibility that either LA Clippers' super reserve Jamal Crawford or free agent Nick Young could end up with the Golden State Warriors this offseason, league sources tell ESPN. ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Crawford, 37, is being included in a progressing 3-team trade that would send the three-time Sixth Man of the Year to the Atlanta Hawks. Sources informed ESPN that Crawford would seek an immediate buyout and the Warriors would be the frontrunners for his services if they still possessed the taxpayer mid-level exception of $5.2 million, sources tell ESPN. He's made nearly $135 million over his 17-year career. Crawford played 54 games for the Warriors during the 2008-09 season, a year before the franchise drafted Stephen Curry. He has often spoke about how much he loved his time in the Bay Area. In the trade that's being ironed out, Danilo Gallinari -- in a sign-and-trade -- would relocate to Los Angeles, Paul Millsap -- via a sign-and trade -- would head to Denver, and Crawford and Diamond Stone along with a with first-round pick would go to Atlanta. Timing of the trade is critical on a potential Crawford reunion because Young, 32, is also in talks with the Warriors and the New Orleans Pelicans, sources say. Draymond Green and Kevin Durant have been actively recruiting the 10-year vet, a source said. In New Orleans, Young would have an extended role as a legitimate perimeter threat to blend with the interior dominance of Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. But Golden State offers a chance at a championship run, and a reserve role that could significantly enhance his value the next time he hits free agency.
Report: Lakers, Hill may reach deal soon -- With so few significant point guard jobs available, former Utah Jazz starting guard George Hill is one of many names looking for a place to land. According to Mark Medina of the Orange County Register, Hill's meeting yesterday with the Los Angeles Lakers went well and a deal may still be in the cards there:
The Lakers met with veteran guard George Hill in Los Angeles on Monday, according to league sources familiar with the situation. Though the parties did not agree to a deal, the meeting could lead to one in the days ahead. The 31-year-old Hill could help the Lakers in several ways. The Lakers think Hill would provide a positive veteran presence in a young locker room, help their outside shooting needs and add depth to their backcourt. Hill could play backup point guard behind rookie Lonzo Ball or start alongside Ball at shooting guard. After playing five seasons in Indiana with Paul George (2011-16), perhaps Hill could aid the Lakers’ ongoing efforts to ensure George joins them as a free agent next summer. ... The Lakers also met with free agent shooting guard Dion Waiters on Sunday and have had multiple conversations with veteran guard Rajon Rondo in recent days. Though they have yet to schedule a meeting with Rondo, the Lakers view him as a potential fit both to mentor Ball and add further depth to their backcourt. The Lakers have had extensive talks with people who know Rondo well, including former coaches and players, so they can learn better how he was as a teammate.* * * Report: Pacers talking buyout with Ellis -- The Indiana Pacers reached a two-year deal with point guard Darren Collison last night, per multiple reports. That move, coupled with last season's starting point guard, Jeff Teague, reportedly headed to Minnesota means the Pacers' backcourt should be set for 2017-18. As Nate Taylor of the Indianapolis Star reports, the Pacers are now looking into buying out guard Monta Ellis:
Monta Ellis’ time in Indiana could be coming to an end soon. The Indiana Pacers and Ellis, according to multiple league sources, are discussing a possible buyout. Ellis, a 12-year veteran, doesn’t appear to fit within the Pacers’ rebuilding effort. He is scheduled to be the third-highest paid player on the team at $11.2 million next season. By removing Ellis from the team, the Pacers would no longer be obligated to pay Ellis for the final year of his contract in 2018-19. A buyout could be completed later this month, according to a source. Darren Collison and Victor Oladipo are expected to be the Pacers’ starting backcourt next season and Ellis’ role would be significantly reduced from last year. The Pacer will enter Tuesday with about $13 million left in salary cap space base on their projections after Collison’s verbally agreed to a two-year, $20 million deal Monday night. ... When Ellis signed with the Pacers for a four-year deal in 2015, he was expected to be the guard who could help Paul George and George Hill ignite the franchise’s new offensive plan to become more up-tempo. Ellis did his best to bring veteran wisdom, leadership and stability as an additional ball handler. But Ellis’ two seasons with the Pacers have been inconsistent because of injuries, turnovers and his questionable shot selection. Ellis, 31, struggled throughout last season to find the explosiveness and quickness that had made him a successful scorer throughout his career. He averaged just 8.5 points in 74 games. It was his lowest scoring average since his rookie season with Golden State in 2005-06.* * * SOME RANDOM HEADLINES: According to Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens, star guard Isaiah Thomas won't need surgery on his hip ... Denver Nuggets players are excited about the offseason addition of Paul Millsap ... Taking stock of the 2017 Draft class after a couple of Summer League games ... 'Super teams' have a storied (if flawed) past in NBA lore ... Versatile Jonathan Isaac is shining so far for the Orlando Magic ...