POSTED: Oct 28, 2014 1:56 PM ET
UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014 4:28 PM ET
WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) — If Rajon Rondo knows whether he will play in the Boston Celtics opener on Wednesday night, he isn't saying.
The star point guard, who has missed most of training camp with a broken bone in his hand, told reporters that he will make up his mind after he awakens from his usual pregame nap on Wednesday afternoon.
"I'll make the call at the end of the day, as far as my comfort level," Rondo told reporters before practice on Tuesday. "I don't want to have any second thoughts when I go out there and play."
After missing the first half of last season recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, Rondo seemed healthy heading back to camp this fall before he slipped in a shower and injured his left hand. Given an initial recovery period of 6-8 weeks, Rondo would miss only five if he returns on Wednesday.
Rondo had an X-Ray on Monday and was scheduled for another test on Tuesday. If that goes well, it will come down to how he feels.
"I think it's more about his comfort," coach Brad Stevens said. "I think they feel like he's progressed well and healed appropriately."
Rondo said he would take a nap in the afternoon and participate in warmups. Then he is planning to address the crowd for the traditional opening night welcome from the team's elder statesman.
"I'll be on the court tomorrow regardless," he said.
Making light of the questions regarding the progress of his recovery, Rondo said on Monday that he was at 79 percent of full capacity. On Tuesday, Stevens asked him what to tell reporters and Rondo told him he was up to 83 percent.
"Four percent better, whatever that means," Stevens said.
Not much is expected from the Celtics this season - even with a healthy Rondo. But his reliable presence is necessary if they have any chance of improving on last year's 25-57 record.
"He's looking good," center Kelly Olynyk said before practice on Tuesday. "He looked like he's moving well and playing well. (I'm) excited to have him back."