Beal Named Kia Rookie of Month
NEW YORK -- The Washington Wizards' Bradley Beal and the Portland Trail Blazers' Damian Lillard today were named the Kia NBA Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in December.
Beal lead all Eastern Conference rookies in scoring (13.4 ppg) and total assists with (41) in December. He had six games with 15-plus points during the month and made a career-high eight field goals in a 100-95 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Dec.18.
Lillard led all rookies in scoring (18.4 ppg), assists (6.3 apg) and is tied for third among NBA point guards with 16 games of 20-plus points. On Dec.13 against the San Antonio Spurs he became one of just 12 NBA players to record at least 29 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a game this season.
Here is a recap of the month for Beal and Lillard:
Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards
- Dec. 11 @ New Orleans: Posted 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists in a 77-70 victory over the Hornets.
- Dec. 12 @ Houston: Recorded 20 points, four rebounds, five assists and two steals in a 99-93 loss to the Rockets.
- Dec. 15 @ Miami: Tallied 19 points and three rebounds in a 102-72 loss to the Heat.
- Dec. 18 @ Atlanta: Had 17 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals in a 100-95 loss to the Hawks.
Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
- Dec. 1 @ Cleveland: Scored 24 points, established a career-high with 11 assists and added six rebounds in a 118-117 (2OT) win over the Cavaliers.
- Dec. 13 vs. San Antonio: Had a career-high 29 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a 98-90 win over the Spurs.
- Dec. 22 vs. Phoenix: Posted 25 points and seven assists in a 96-93 victory over the Suns.
- Dec. 26 vs. Sacramento: Tallied 17 points, set a career-high in rebounds (eight) and tied a career-high with 11 assists in a 109-91 win against the Kings.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Rookies of the Month were Charlotte's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Cleveland's Tyler Zeller, Detroit's Andre Drummond, and New Orleans' Anthony Davis.