Haywood Chat Recap

Brendan chatted on Sept. 26
Mitchell Layton/NBAE/Getty Images

Wizards Center Brendan Haywood joined fans for a live chat on Monday, Sept. 26 about the upcoming season.

Entering his fifth professional campaign, Haywood is a big part of the Wizards' nucleus that advanced to the Eastern Conference Semifinals last season. In 2004-05, Haywood established new career-highs in almost every major statistical category, including points per game (9.4), which he improved upon for the third consecutive year.

Haywood chatted on Monday about his summertime routine and his goals for the new season, and what's to come as his Wizards try to wrest the Southeast Division crown from Shaq and the Heat.

If you missed the live chat, here is the transcript.

Carly (Arlington): Hey Brendan, I'm definitely a big Wizards fan and a big B.Hay fan. I've noticed that over the past couple of seasons you've made a lot of improvement from doing some hard work during the off season. What specifically have you been working on this off season?

Brendan Haywood: Specifically this offseason I've been working on my free-throw shooting and the development of my left hand.

Admir (Herndon, VA): Brendan, You seem to be getting better and better each year, and you were dominant in the playoffs last year. What is your goal this year?

Brendan Haywood: My personal goal is to improve. I'd like to average a double-double and I think if I can constistenly get 30 to 35 minutes per game, I can put up a double-double most every night.

Jack (Chicago): How do you describe your experience defending Yao Ming from the Rockets?

Brendan Haywood: I like playing against Yao. It's always good to play against one of the top centers in the league. Of course, it's really tough because he's so tall and you have to expand so much energy just to try and combat that height advantage. But I like that challenge and look forward to facing Yao.

antwan (bronx): yo brendan. r u related to spencer haywood?

Brendan Haywood: No.

Lukas (Slovakia: Ciao Brendan, name your all-time starting 5. Have a nice season!

Brendan Haywood: Alltime starting five. That's a tough one. Magic at the point. At the two, Michael Jordan. At the three Larry Bird. At the four, Tim Duncan and at the five Shaq.

james black: With all the off season acquistions like Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins and Antonio Daniels do you think the wizards can improve on their fifth seed from a year ago?

Brendan Haywood: That's a good question. Last year's team had a lot of chemistry and we need to see if this year's team will follow suit.

Frank: I relaized a lot of terheels for some reason have played for washington in the recent past and now like rasheed, stackhouse and of course jordan and now you and antawn, what gives?

Brendan Haywood: I don't know. Carolina is such a dominant team, such a powerhouse that most teams figure you can never have too many Tar Heels on one squad.

jacob, silver spring: brendan - I hope you ahve a long career but what plans do you have for after your playing days in the NBA?

Brendan Haywood: After I'm playing, I would like to do some commentating. I do a little bit of that now for the WNBA which I enjoy very much. I also want to travel and maybe dabble in some real estate. I'd also like to coach, maybe at the AAU level, where the kids are like 13 and 14-years-old and will still listen to you!

Joseph (San Antonio): What inspired you to play basketball

Brendan Haywood: Hmmm. Originally I was just so tall, I started playing. And then as I developed and got better, I really began to love the game and it just took off from there.

Julio: Brendan - Do you have any nicknames or does anyone on the team have a strange or funny nickname?

Brendan Haywood: I got a few nicknames. Some friends call me "B" or "Big B" or "B-Whizzle". As for the team, the funniest is Gilbert Arenas, who we call "T.O" for Terrell Owens, because he acts like him.

jess: seen any good movies or new tv shows recently?

Brendan Haywood: I'm not a big TV watcher, but I liked the movie "Cry Wolf" was good and the movie "Lord of War" with Nicolas Cage was good. He was excellent in it.

Jeffrey(miami): do you think that larry hughs absence will affect the wizards a lot or will it make you guys a better team?

Brendan Haywood: That's hard to say, we'll have to wait and see what happens when the season starts. It can hurt us, but if other guys step up, maybe we can be even better. We'll know the answer to that over time.

Brendan Haywood: I appreciate everyone taking the time out to ask questions. Thank you all for supporting me and the Washington Wizards and I think we're really going to have an exciting season this year. Thanks again.