2017-18 Jr. Wizards Coach of the Year Nomination Form
This is your opportunity to nominate your coach as the Jr. NBA Local Coach of the Year. The Jr. NBA Coach of the Year program is designed to recognize and celebrate youth basketball coaches in NBA team markets that demonstrate outstanding integrity, character, and leadership – and in doing so have extraordinary impact on young people on and off the court.
Things To Consider When Nominating A Candidate
- Coach should exhibit knowledge of the game through his/her understanding of rules, systems of play, and coaching philosophy
- Coach should show respect for officials, opponents, and parents
- Coach should embrace a philosophy of fair play
- Coach should demonstrate commitment to further learning, professional development, mentorship, etc.
- Coach must show concern for the all-around development of the team and provide leadership for students on and off the court
- Coach goes above and beyond call of action to help his/her youth organization
- Coach has contributed to his/her community at large, outside the realm of basketball
- Participation in service organizations within the community
- Serve as a role model for young athletes he/she has coached
- Coach must be in the local D.C., Maryland or Virginia area.
Winners: Jr. Wizards Coach of the Year winner will be recognized on the court at a Wizards home game, and will be automatically entered into the national selection process. The top three national finalists will each be awarded a $2,500 grant to support their local youth basketball organizations. The national Jr. NBA COY winner will be selected from among the three finalists and will receive an additional $2,500 grant, as well as a trip to Chicago to be honored on a national stage at the Jr. NBA Leadership Conference in May.
Submission Process: All local Wizards Jr. NBA Local Coach of the Year award nominations are due March 1. Winner of the local award will be recognized with a trophy presentation on court during a Washington Wizards home game. Winner may be subject to a background check.