Timberwolves 25 Throwback: Wolves Post First Back-To-Back Wins

Timberwolves 25 Throwback: Wolves Post First Back-To-Back Wins

Editor’s Note: Throughout the 2013-14 season, Timberwolves.com will highlight some of the most significant moments in the team's history as part of the Timberwolves' 25th season celebration. These articles will be written as they would have been in that particular year if Timberwolves.com was around at the time. Today we flash back to Dec. 5, 1989, when the Wolves beat the Nets for their first back-to-back victories in team history.

Cristy Brusoe
Web Editorial Assistant

Email / Twitter

With 18 second to go fans were restless in their seats as all eyes focused on rookie guard Mookie Blaylock. It was Showtime for a young man who found the rock in his hands with an opportunity to tie the game, taking the two teams into overtime. After bouncing off the rim and gracing the fingertips of Nets players, Sam Mitchell and Sidney Lowe found themselves down on the paint, diving for the rebound. Seconds later, the ball rolled out of bounds as time expired.

For a second time in a week, the crowd erupted, celebrating a consecutive Timberwolves victory. This comes after a dominating 101-74 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Dec 2. The sound defensive stand led to the Timberwolves first back-to-back victories in the organization’s short history.

This inaugural team is becoming a club of “firsts,” with the Wolves having also recorded their first victory in team history nearly a month ago.

After going down by a large deficit in the second quarter, the Nets went on a 13-2 run behind the efforts of Charles Shackleford and Chris Morris to get back in it.

The tide turned at the 4:30 mark when Roy Hinson made a corner jumper, which put the Nets ahead 82-81. The Wolves eventually retook the lead and held it until Hinson made two clutch foul shots with 58 seconds to go, tying the game at 90 a piece.

With 39 seconds left in the contest, Tyrone Corbin shot a smooth jumper and gave Minnesota back the lead.

During the final team timeout Sam Mitchell took on the role of captain, turning to Sidney Lowe and directing him to “Go get it (the rebound).” Mitchell had eight rebounds in the game.

Tony Campbell once again led the pack in scoring 26 points on 8-of-9 shooting, swishing nine straight in the fourth quarter. Demonstrating confidence in hitting the trey, Campbell established he could score relentlessly throughout the night.

“I felt great tonight. I feel like playing another game right now. I feel if I can get the basketball in the paint, I can create something any time.”

The victory wouldn’t have been complete without the excellent play of the bench. Roth, Murphy and Richardson provided a spark to keep the team in it near the end. Roth and Murphy combined for 15 points, while Richardson had 4 steals and 5 give and go assists. The bench as a whole combined for 36 points.

Meanwhile, Roy Hinson led the Nets in scoring with 25 points and dominated the paint, grabbing eight of the teams 39 rebounds.

The Timberwolves add this blockbuster win to the five victories they have in their inaugural season, while the Nets fall to a menial 4-13 record.


  1 2 3 4 Final
Nets 21 18 26 25 90
Timberwolves 21 32 21 18 92


For more news and notes on the team follow the Minnesota Timberwolves and Mark Remme on Twitter.