Suns Charities Awards $37,000 in Scholarships
Phoenix Suns Charities awarded 17 scholarships to students throughout Arizona to be used for educational expenses at the college or university of their choice at halftime during tonight’s (Sunday, April 7) Suns-Hornets game at US Airways Center.
Alex Halvey of Pusch Ridge Christian Academy was named the winner of the Kevin Johnson Scholar Award, a $5,000 scholarship. In addition, 15 high school seniors were awarded $2,000 as winners of the Phoenix Suns Charities’ SunStudents Scholarship.
The Kevin Johnson Scholar Award, named for the former Suns’ All-Star point guard, was created in recognition of Johnson’s retirement and honors the spirit of learning and community service espoused by Johnson during his tenure with the Phoenix Suns. This season marks the 10th year the Kevin Johnson award has been presented.
Taylor Liddle of Arizona State University was also recognized as the “Be Great Today Scholarship” winner tonight. This is the first year the scholarship has been in place, in memory of former Phoenix Suns’ ball kid, Marshall Mathew.
The “Be Great Today Scholarship” is awarded to a Phoenix Suns’ ball kid who leads by example with an exceptional attitude, in addition to great community service and academic performance.
Nearly 200 applicants from across the state were judged on their community involvement, scholastic performance, letters of recommendation and an essay on overcoming adversity for the Phoenix Suns Charities SunStudents Scholarship.
Each of the 20 Phoenix Suns’ ball kids were asked to list all of their extracurricular act ivies and honors, as well as explain the best life lesson he or she learned from being a ball kid and what “Be Great Today” meant to them.
The 2013 Phoenix Suns Charities SunStudents Scholarship recipients are:
- Alex Halvey, Pusch Ridge Christian Academy, Kevin Johnson Scholarship
- Caleb Peckham, Tempe Preparatory Academy
- Casey Weinstein, Brophy College Preparatory
- Courtney Robertson, Thunderbird High School
- Elle Uldrich, Pusch Ridge Christian Academy
- Garrett Bentley, Catalina Foothills High School
- Jenny Chen, Desert Vista High School
- Jessy Kartchner, St. David High School
- Joyce Wen, Corona Del Sol High School
- Karen Chang, The Payne Academy
- Morgan Beckwith, Lake Havasu High School
- Nicole Briones, Hamilton High School
- Paige Knuth, Mountain Pointe High School
- Randi Notte, Arizona Agribusiness and Equine Center
- Taylor Hill, Joseph City High School
- Thomas Mroz, Brophy College Preparatory
The 2013 Be Great Today Scholar recipient:
- Taylor Liddel, Arizona State University
ABOUT PHOENIX SUNS CHARTIES:
Founded in 1988, Phoenix Suns Charities is the non-profit organization and philanthropic cornerstone of the Phoenix Suns. It was formed with the mission to enhance the lives of Arizona’s children and their families by actively creating and supporting programs in the areas of education, health, human services, the arts, rehabilitation and sports and recreation. Throughout the past 25 years, more than $13 million has been contributed to over 200 charitable organizations in Arizona.