GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY AND PHOENIX SUNS “FIND YOUR PURPOSE” ESSAY CONTEST - OFFICIAL RULES
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase will not improve your chances of winning.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Essay promotion open to individuals residing within 75 miles of US Airways Center in Phoenix, AZ, who are currently 12th grade students, except employees and immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) of employees of Grand Canyon Education, Inc. (“GCU”), Suns Legacy Partners, L.L.C. aka the Phoenix Suns, the National Basketball Association and its member teams, NBA Properties Inc., each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, owners, employees and agents, Sports & Entertainment Services, LLC, and Phoenix Arena Development Limited Partner aka US Airways Center (collectively, “Contest Entities:”). In addition, this promotion is not open to any male or female who played or is currently playing for any high school or college basketball teams or any other competitive basketball program (e.g., an AAU team).
3. ENTRY. To enter, submit an essay between 1000-1500 words that answers the question, “What does ‘Find Your Purpose’ mean to you as a soon-to-be college student and how will this scholarship help you ‘Find Your Purpose,’ if you are selected?” The promotion period will begin on October 28, 2013 and all entries must be submitted online at http://www.nba.com/suns/gcuessaycontest by December 20, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. Limit one (1) entry per student. Winner will be chosen based on the content of his or her essay, including style, theme, clarity and message. The decision of the judges will be final and binding on all matters related to the Contest. Thirty finalists will be notified by January 13, 2014. Winner will be revealed at an event on January 23, 2014. Must be present to win. In the event the winner cannot be contacted within five business days or declines the prize, an alternate winner will be selected.
4. WINNER. One (1) individual winner will be chosen between December 20, 2013 and January 13, 2014. The winner will receive a $10,000 tuition credit to GCU. Winner of the $10,000 tuition credit is not guaranteed admission into GCU. In order to receive the $10,000 tuition credit, winner must apply and be admitted to GCU by July 31, 2014. Once accepted, winner must be enrolled full time (minimum of 12 credits) and maintain satisfactory academic progress. To view application and admission guidelines, please visit http://gcu.edu/sunsessay
Tuition credit is subject to the recipient being accepted to GCU. The GCU scholarship awarded may only be applied towards the recipient's first year tuition and will be applied equally over the course of two semesters. In the event that recipient also qualifies for one or more other GCU scholarships, the total amount of all scholarship monies cannot exceed the current total cost of tuition for the year in which the recipient applies for enrollment. Scholarships are non-transferable. Scholarships have no cash value. GCU scholarships are allowed to be combined up to the following limits: Chancellor/President Scholarship recipients in campus housing - up to $16,500; all other scholarship recipients in campus housing - up to $14,000; all scholarship recipients living off campus - up to $11,500.
5. CONDITIONS. By entering, entrant agrees to follow the Official Rules of the promotion and to indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), with respect to or arising out of either (i) entrant’s participation; or (ii) the receipt or use of the prizes awarded in the promotion. No substitution, cash equivalent or transfer of prize shall be permitted except at the Phoenix Suns’ option for a prize of comparable or greater value. All winners shall be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes and any expenses associated with the prize, unless otherwise indicated. Void where prohibited or restricted.
6. CHANCES. Chances of winning depend on the number of valid entries received.
7. AGREEMENT. Participants agree that the decisions of the Phoenix Suns and GCU related to this promotion are final. By participating in the promotion, winner consents to the use of his or her names, likenesses and/or voices for any advertising or promotional purposes without further consent or compensation. Winner hereby agrees and consents, without further authorization, compensation or remuneration of any kind, to the use of winner's name and/or likeness in any and all advertising promotions and other publicity conducted by the GCU, the Phoenix Suns, the National Basketball Association and its Member Teams, NBA Properties Inc., and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliates, except where prohibited by law. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in disqualification and forfeiture of prize.
8. DISQUALIFICATION. The Phoenix Suns and GCU reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, require the return of any prize or its value, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion. In which case, winners will be determined from the entries received prior to cancellation, termination, modification or suspension.
9. DISCLAIMER. The Phoenix Suns and GCU are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, incomplete, stolen or misdirected entries, typographical or other human or technical errors in the offer or administration of this Promotion, including but not limited to errors in advertising, these official rules, the selection and announcement of the winners or the distribution of the prize. The Phoenix Suns and GCU reserve the right to modify these rules for clarification purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Promotion. By accepting prizes, winners agree that GCU, the Phoenix Suns, the NBA and its Member Teams, NBA Properties, Inc., Phoenix Arena Development Limited Partnership, Sports & Entertainment Services, LLC, the City of Phoenix and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, sponsors, directors, officers, governors, employees and agents will have no liability and will be held harmless by winners for any liability, loss, injury or damage to property or to person, including death, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prizes or participation in this Promotion, even if caused or contributed to by the negligence of GCU, the Phoenix Suns, the NBA and its Member Teams, NBA Properties, Inc., Phoenix Arena Development Limited Partnership, Sports & Entertainment Services, LLC, the City of Phoenix.
10. SPONSORS. This contest is administered and sponsored by GCU, 3300 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85017 and Suns Legacy Partners, L.L.C. aka the Phoenix Suns, 201 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004.