Help us determine the three 2013 Summer Team Up Challenge Champions! Ten teams have already received $1000 to work on their projects. Each of the three champion teams will receive an additional $10,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Summer Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages kids to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
Respite Kids Get Fit
- With the obesity rate and diabetes on the rise, Respite Care children have realized the importance of choosing a healthier lifestyle and are taking steps to become more active and eat healthy foods.
- For the past eight weeks, the children of Respite Care have participated in “Fitness Fridays”. They have devoted an hour of their time to structured physical activity. They have danced, run through obstacle courses, and practiced yoga-proving that fitness can be fun!
- In addition to practicing a healthy lifestyle while at Respite Care, our children have taken home ideas for healthy living to their families each Tuesday. They have completed and returned activities to demonstrate they are practicing these healthy choices.
- The children of Respite Care have also attended many educational field trips throughout the course of the project. They visited the Landa and Botanical gardens and had a blast being active in parks, swimming and doing Zumba at the YMCA, and dancing with the Silver Stars Star Squad.
- With $10,000, Respite Care would be able to provide jogging strollers and adapted bicycles for children with limited abilities. We would also like to provide families with sneakers, water bottles, and memberships to the YMCA