Help us determine the three 2013 Summer Team Up Challenge Champions! Ten teams have already received $1000 to work on their projects. Each of the three champion teams will receive an additional $10,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Summer Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages kids to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
MARTINEZ STREET WOMEN'S CENTER
- Community Day is a student led service project that focuses on community needs such as health and fitness, nutrition, and responsible pet care. Students have invited the surrounding community to take part in a day of education and fun!
- Students brainstormed and identified community needs and created marketing materials.
- Invited organizations such as SNAP, Roots of Change Community Garden, MSWC Health Workers, and others to take part in Community Day (students sent emails, made phone calls, and asked organizational representatives in person)
- Students created and implemented fundraiser, and students made DIY dog toys as giveaways for event. Our goal is to provide a family friendly day of fun and education for our East Side Community!
- Girl Zone will use the money to continue developing the leadership of girls through student led campus-based projects throughout the school year!