Help us determine the three 2013 Summer Team Up Challenge Champions! Ten teams have already received $1000 to work on their projects. Each of the three champion teams will receive an additional $10,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Summer Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages kids to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
GIRL SCOUTS OF SOUTHWEST TEXAS
Forever Green Twinning Team
- The Forever Green Twinning Team is comprised of teen girls in San Antonio and Durango, Mexico working to engage 400 youth during the summer to build gardens, recycle and conserve water. These girl-led environmental impact projects empower members to learn the importance of environmental awareness while benefitting the community-at-large.
- Through a partnership with Alcoa, our local efforts have engaged more than 3,700 community members who have signed the Girl Scouts Forever Green Pledge to reduce waste, conserve energy and create green spaces.
- We have built formal partnerships with the Edwards Aquifer Authority to educate the Forever Green Twinning Team about the aquifer, its endangered species and how to conserve water.
- We plan to continue to empower the Forever Green Twinning Team to learn how to plan minor and major events while learning how to facilitate and educate their peers on important community issues. The team is currently in the process of building its first community garden.
- We plan to use the award to fund additional green spaces in the San Antonio community. This award will be used to purchase plants, pots, garden tools and plant bedding materials for each project, as well as the printing of educational materials created by the Forever Green Twinning Team.