Help us determine the three 2013 Summer Team Up Challenge Champions! Ten teams have already received $1000 to work on their projects. Each of the three champion teams will receive an additional $10,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Summer Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages kids to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
BLUE STAR CONTEMPORARY ART MUSEUM
Blue Star Mosaic
- Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum's MOSAIC program in collaboration with the San Anto Cultural Arts organization will participate in a public art mural project. 25 student artists will design and paint a one of a kind mural to be permanently displayed on the East side of San Antonio, under the Nolan St. bridge. The mural will contribute to the culture and public art of the area and will also provide students with a fun, creative, daytime group activity lasting throughout the summer.
- So far our team has finalized the design of the mural and work has begun on its construction The design can be described as a linear abstract composition in blue and red color.
- The mural, which is composed of 10 panels, will stretch about 300ft long and 15ft high at its tallest point. Work has been completed on panel 1 with the application of the design and paint. The dedicated student artists work Monday through Friday, 1-5 PM on the mural at the Blue Star MOSAIC studio.
- With the completion of the mural, we will introduce a stunning piece of public art into an east side community, completely constructed by high school student artists.
- The grand prize will help fund MOSAIC, a year round after school program that exposes high school students to drawing, painting and other fundamental visual art techniques, culminating in the creation of public artwork. MOSAIC participates in community events and collaborates with organizations, such as San Antonio Cultural Arts.