Help us determine the five 2012-2013 Team Up Challenge Champions! Twenty teams have already received $2500 to work on their projects. Each of the five champion teams will receive an additional $20,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages students to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
- The Sam Houston Junk Yarten project has blossomed wildly since its genesis. We began by addressing the issue of insufficient community ownership and pride. By leading weekly trash pick ups we promoted the idea that the streets surrounding Sam are OURS to keep clean and OURS to inhabit.
- We have collected well over 50 full trash bags over 23 trash pickups from the surrounding neighborhoods, some of which will be used to create our “junk” statues.
- We have created a new club for SHHS called ECOreps, which carries the mission to make our community more environmentally conscious and address keys sustainability issues. This club has already initiated a recycling program involving teachers and faculty. More and more classrooms are beginning to recycle.
- We have begun our Team Up mural competition, pitting the grades against each other to design murals under the common theme of “transformation”. These murals will be a centerpiece of our garden!
- With the grand prize, the ECOreps will continue promoting the mentality of recycling, realizing the dream of having an outdoor classroom for projects in our Junk Yarten. With the remaining funds, we will join forces with the Davis Team Up students to transform a vacant lot next to SHHS.