Help us determine the five 2012-2013 Team Up Challenge Champions! Twenty teams have already received $2500 to work on their projects. Each of the five champion teams will receive an additional $20,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages students to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
- The Rhodes Reading Program is an investment in our kids, and the future of our community. We promote reading among pre-k students and their families at a very early age. Research shows a child’s reading ability is a leading indicator of how successful they will be from kindergarten through college.
- Rhodes readers systematically introduced more than 400 pre-k students and their parents to the wonderful world of reading. We purchased many, targeted books and thoughtfully spent at least 20 hours in each classroom. Our young mentors and their books have quickly become so important to the pre-k students at Carvajal.
- Our project has helped to foster a strong commitment to community service among our National Junior Honor Society readers. Rhodes Readers have emerged as class leaders and their confidence has grown by leaps and bounds—qualities necessary for success in college and throughout life.
- We developed an “I Love Reading” program here at Rhodes with more than 150, 6th, 7th and 8th grade readers. Adult mentors regularly meet with their reading groups, providing encouragement while helping to foster a life-long love of reading. Early results already indicate reading improvement among most participants.
- With the champion award, we will create a summer reading program with the help of our partners, the Boys and Girls Club of San Antonio and HEB. Middle school students will improve their literacy through regular participation in structured summertime reading. Parents will also be encouraged to participate by motivating and tracking student progress