Help us determine the five 2012-2013 Team Up Challenge Champions! Twenty teams have already received $2500 to work on their projects. Each of the five champion teams will receive an additional $20,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages students to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
- Our project addresses the need to preserve our environment for future generations. We are teaching our community the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling.
- Club members put a recycling bin in every classroom and office space on our campus. We organized the student body to take responsibility for our own waste; we collect and dispose of all recyclables on a daily basis.
- We organized a public awareness campaign on our campus called “Think Green, Go Blue!” to teach people about recyclable and non-recyclable items. We printed shirts and giant banners with this information, and hosted an informational table during lunch.
- A survey revealed the # 1 recyclable in our bins was Styrofoam cups used by students for breakfast! We partnered with the food service distributor on campus and local businesses to offer discounts to students using our reusable “Think Green, Go Blue!” cups..
- If we were a champion, the Go Green Club will purchase recycling bins for the elementary and middle schools in our MacArthur community. We will orchestrate a public awareness campaign called “Think Green, Go Blue!” with the younger students on the importance of protecting our environment through recycling.