Help us determine the five 2012-2013 Team Up Challenge Champions! Twenty teams have already received $2500 to work on their projects. Each of the five champion teams will receive an additional $20,000 for their work and contribution to improving our community. The Team Up Challenge is a youth led service-learning initiative that encourages students to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the real world, bringing education alive in powerful ways.
- Our school district has more than 200 families that are in need. Each week students leave school on Friday and will not get another meal until Monday. Realizing this need, our group wanted to help out our classmates, by giving them food to eat over the weekend.
- Every week our group packs 30 backpacks (17 High School and 13 Elementary school) each backpack contains two breakfast items, two lunch items, two snacks and two drinks. We have provided 30 students with weekend backpacks for 21 weeks (630 backpacks)
- We created a survey to address quality, amount, allergies, medical concerns and general comments. The results of the survey allowed us to provide extra food to other members of the household and send healthier food to diabetic students or students with food allergies.
- We wanted to expand “Operation Backpack” to other schools in our district, but the problem was transporting backpacks each week. Our district social worker helped us come up with a plan to reach two more school by utilizing the intra-district delivery system. We will reach 20 more students each week.
- We will use the $20,000 champion award to expand “Operation Backpack” to all ten schools in our district.