Bulls game at Wachovia Spectrum highlights Sixers 2008-09 schedule
The Philadelphia 76ers will remember the Spectrum when they return to their former home, the Wachovia Spectrum, for a regular season game against the Chicago Bulls on Friday, March 13 at 7:00pm, the highlight of the franchise's 60th Anniversary season. Tickets can be guaranteed exclusively with the purchase of 2008-09 season tickets. Comcast-Spectacor recently announced that this will be the last year of the Wachovia Spectrum at the conclusion of the Philadelphia Phantoms and Philadelphia Kixx, hockey and indoor soccer seasons.
"In this, the last year of the Spectrum, we're thrilled to bring the Sixers back home to play one more time in the Spectrum," said Comcast-Spectacor Chairman Ed Snider. "This night is designed for our fans to relive the great Sixers memories there and for those fans who were never able to see them play at the Spectrum."
"We really want to make this a special year of remembering the Spectrum," said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. "Bringing the Sixers back to the Spectrum for a regular season game continues the celebration of so many wonderful memories and proud tradition of America's Showplace."
The Spectrum opened on September 30, 1967 with the Quaker City Jazz Festival. After nearly 30 years of Philadelphia 76ers basketball and Philadelphia Flyers hockey, the Spectrum gave way to the Wachovia Center in l996.
The Sixers will begin the 2008-09 campaign ready to build off the success of last year and tip-off their season at the Wachovia Center on Wednesday, October 29 at 7:00pm against the Toronto Raptors. The game will mark the regular season home debut of two-time NBA All Star and Sixers forward Elton Brand.
Fans will have a number of opportunities to "Run With Us" to start the season as the team will play three of its first four games at Wachovia Center, including Friday, Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. against the New York Knicks. The team's longest home stand will span seven games from Jan. 30 through All-Star break, highlighted with a match-up against Shaquille O'Neal and the Phoenix Suns on Monday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m.
The schedule features several family-friendly dates, including nine Saturday home dates, eight Friday night home dates and three Sunday afternoon home dates, as well as a special 1:00pm matinee game against Dallas on Monday, January 19, 2009.
The Sixers will have two extended road trips this year, the first of which is a six-game road trip from Dec. 23 through Jan. 3, beginning at Boston against the defending World Champion Celtics, then continuing West to face perennial Western Conference powers Dallas, San Antonio and Utah, as well as games against Allen Iverson and the Denver Nuggets and Brand's former team, the Los Angeles Clippers. Additionally, the team will have a five-game road trip beginning March 17 against the Los Angeles Lakers and concluding against Greg Oden and the Portland Trail Blazers on March 23.
The Sixers will play 21 sets of back-to-back games in 2008-09, including five within the first 14 games of the season. The Sixers will also face four Eastern Conference opponents from outside the Atlantic Division only three-times: Atlanta (1 home, 2 road), Detroit (1 home, 2 road), Milwaukee (2 home, 1 road) and Orlando (2 home, 1 road).
Other highlights from the Sixers 2008-09 home schedule:
- The NBA's Oklahoma City franchise, featuring 2007-08 Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant, makes their Philadelphia debut on Saturday, Nov. 15.
- The Orlando Magic and 22-year-old Olympian Dwight Howard will travel to Wachovia Center on Wednesday, Nov. 26 and Saturday, Feb. 28.
- Lower Marion product Kobe Bryant and the L.A. Lakers makes their annual appearance on Wednesday, Dec. 3.
- LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers come to town on Wednesday, Dec. 10 and Friday, Apr. 10.
- Houston's newly formed trio of Ron Artest, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming make their one and only appearance on Tuesday, Jan. 6.
- The Celtics/Sixers rivalry reignites with two match-ups: The first one on Tuesday, Feb. 3 and the regular season home finale on Tuesday, Apr. 14.
- The Miami Heat, featuring Dwyane Wade and second overall draft pick Michael Beasley visit Philly on Saturday, Feb. 7 and Sunday, Mar. 15.
- Denver's Allen Iverson makes his second visit to the City of Brotherly Love as a Nugget on Wednesday, Feb. 18.
It's a "Brand New Look" for the Sixers this season, which is going to be even more exciting with the addition of two-time NBA All-Star Elton Brand. Now is the time to "Run With Us" as we take on the very best of the NBA, as season tickets start at just $516. Fans can call 866.913.9783 for more information.