Fastbreak: Basketball's Back!
Updated: September 28, 2013
The wait is almost over. In just a few hours, the Sixers tip off their first official practice of the 2013-14 season. The 10AM session is the first of eight that will occur over the next five days before the team boards a transatlantic flight to Bilbao, Spain. We’ll be at the camp site – Hagan Arena on the campus of Saint Joseph's University, delivering updates and post-practice interviews. In the meantime, here are a few things you should know:
• The Sixers’ training camp roster is set, at least for the moment. Last-minute additions to the 18-man roster include Darius Morris, Rodney Williams, Vander Blue, Khalif Wyatt, and Hollis Thompson. Teams are permitted to carry up to 20 players up until the start of the regular season in late October.
• Speaking of newcomers, the Sixers’ roster currently features 11 new members. With forward Arnett Moultrie, center Kwame Brown, and swingman Jason Richardson all nursing injuries, Thaddeus Young, Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner, and Lavoy Allen are the only returning members from last year’s team who are expected to participate on the first day of camp.
• Arnett Moultrie is expected to miss at least the first two months of the regular season with a left ankle injury that required surgery earlier this week. With Kwame Brown (hamstring) also out of commission and Nerlens Noel still rehabbing a torn ACL the Sixers are left with Spencer Hawes, Thaddeus Young, Lavoy Allen, Tim Ohlbrecht, and Royce White in the frontcourt. Something to watch will be how head coach Brett Brown handles his frontcourt rotation once preseason games begin on October 6.
• So who will Coach Brown turn to as his starting five early on? Swingman Evan Turner and the frontcourt tandem of Thaddeus Young and Spencer Hawes are all safe bets, but outside of those three, it becomes harder to predict. Rookie guard Michael Carter-Williams is expected to play big minutes this season, but will he enter camp as the team’s starting point guard? Players to watch for the fifth starting spot are perimeter players Tony Wroten, James Anderson, Darius Morris, and Khalif Wyatt.
• Training camp is not open to the general public, but don’t fret, Sixers.com has you covered. We’ll be there every day, bringing you up-to-the-minute news, quotes, interviews, and more! Be sure to follow @Sixers and @MaxRappaport for updates via Twitter.