Lots to cheer about in strong preseason
Posted: October 23, 2013
Behind strong performances from the team's talented youngsters, as well as several veteran newcomers, the Sixers finished the preseason with an impressive 6-1 record – their best in over a decade. We take a look at some of the most striking statistics from the last week and a half of exhibition matches.
• At 6-1, the Sixers currently boast the best preseason record in the NBA. Their one loss came in overtime against the Brooklyn Nets on October 13.
• Philly also posted the best point differential of any team in the league this preseason, outscoring opponents by an average of 11.0 points per game.
• Big man Lavoy Allen has the second-most rebounds in the NBA this preseason, with 56 (8.0 per game). Center Enes Kanter of the Utah Jazz leads all players, with 63 (9.0 per game).
• The Sixers’ two Youngs, guard Nick and forward Thaddeus, finished ninth and 11th in scoring this preseason, respectively. Nick Young averaged 15.0 points per game on 47.9% shooting, while Thaddeus Young averaged 14.8 points per game on 58.6% shooting.
• As a team, the Sixers scored the third-most points of any team this preseason (102.7 points per game), behind the Houston Rockets (104.4) and the Oklahoma City Thunder (104.2).
• Doug Collins’ squad posted more 100-plus point performances than any team in the league, doing so five times.
• The Sixers have three players in the top-15 in three-pointers made – Dorell Wright (tied for eighth-most, with 12) and Jason Richardson and Nick Young (both tied for 13th-most, with 11). They are the only teammate trio to do so.
• Philly finished with the second-highest assist total (25.1 per game) and the best assists differential (+5.43) in the NBA during the preseason.
• Point guard Jrue Holiday is in a five-way tie for fourth-most assists per game, behind Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, and Russell Westbrook. The fourth-year guard has averaged 6.5 per contest this preseason.
• Holiday also has the second-best assist/turnover ratio (3.25) of any player in the top ten in assists per game this preseason.
The Sixers open their 2012-13 preseason Wednesday, October 31, at home against the Nuggets. With a roster that has transformed tremendously this offseason, they'll will be blessed with a great deal of momentum at this year's jump, thanks to their hot preseason performance.
Posted: 10:36 AM, October 23, 2012