The Houston Rockets are teaming up with Republic Services for our annual recycling event! Donors will receive a voucher* for one ticket to the Houston Rockets annual Environmental Awareness Game, presented by Republic Services, on March 24th vs. the Pelicans
*While supplies last
Tuesday, March 21st
Tree planting with Trees for Houston
The Houston Rockets and Republic Services are teaming up to plant 20-25 trees at Hartsfield Elementary.
Wednesday, March 22nd
Rockets Recycle Twitter Tour
Twitter Tour will include stops at various locations around Houston from 12PM - 5:15PM to accept environmentally friendly donations. There will be Rockets giveaways for all donors on the tour, including a pair of ticket vouchers to the Environmental Awareness game on March 24th for the first five donors to arrive at each location. Be sure to follow @houstonrockets for more updates.
Thursday, March 23rd
Rockets Recycle Fest at Toyota Center
Acceptable electronic items include televisions, laptops, desktop computers, monitors, peripherals, keyboards and mice. We will also be accepting gently used apparel and children’s books for donation and reuse as well. Document shredding available from 11 am – 1 pm. Document shredding will also be available to individuals with a limit of 5 bags/boxes per person for paper material only. Kyle Wiltjer will distribute vouchers from 9:30AM-10:00AM. while supplies last.Donations: 8:00AM - 2:00PM
Shredding: 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Friday, March 24th
Environmental Awareness Game vs. New Orleans Pelicans
Houston Rockets vs. New Orleans Pelicans at 7:00PM, presented by Republic Services. First 3,000 fans in attendance will receive a reusable sandwich bag!
Be more sustainable at home and at the game
- Resolve to reduce, reuse or recycle a little more each day.
- At the game, reduce waste by placing plastic and aluminum beverage containers in the recycling bin.
- At home, make sure your recyclable items are clean, dry and empty.
- Check with your recycling provider on acceptable items in your community.
- Reuse plastic shopping bags on your next trip to the store.
- Reduce food waste with careful menu planning.
Stats & Facts
- We each throw away 4.4 lbs of trash a day, but recycle just 1.5 lbs.
- The average U.S. household throws away 125 lbs of trash per week.
- The weight of all trash discarded in the U.S. last year is equal to 5,600 Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.
- Next to paper, we throw more food away than any other item.
- Food waste accounted for roughly 15% everything thrown away last year.
- 8 out of 10 plastic bottles end up in landfills.
- A plastic water bottle can take up to 700 years to decompose in a landfill.
- Recycled plastic bottles can be repurposed into fleece jackets and playground equipment.
- 24 billion newspapers, 2 billion books and 350 million magazines are printed on paper in the U.S. each year.
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves enough energy to power the average American household for 6 months.
- Every 90 days, Americans throw away enough aluminum to rebuild the nation’s commercial airliner fleet.
- Recycling 1 ton of aluminum cans conserves 1,665 gallons of gasoline.