GRANT CHALLENGE WINNERS
Les Cheneaux Community Schools
The middle school enrichment class and high school sociology class at Les Cheneuax Community Schools were chosen as a Come Together Game Changer Grant Challenge recipient for their Acres of Hope Project that supplied books to an orphanage in Uganda. The students connected with former student, Jessica Duncan, who was interning at the Acres of Hope Orphanage, and through her were able to hold Skype sessions with the kids in Uganda. The two classes collected old books and textbooks from around their school, and with $200 raised from a bracelet sale fundraiser and a $400 grant received a grant from the Les Cheneaux Community Foundation the students were able to send 6 boxes of books to the orphanage. Upon receiving the boxes of books, the orphanage decided to donate some of the textbooks to the local school and start a library with the rest. When Duncan returned to Michigan, she visited the two classrooms and spoke with the students about her experience. This project was an opportunity for students to learn in class skills in a hands-on real life experience. Aside from the classroom learning students also experienced creating the foundation for an important tool, the library, in building the orphans literacy skills and success later in life.
Come Together Game Changers ProgramGame Changers are the everyday people making a difference within their communities through service, leadership and volunteerism. Through the Come Together Game Changers program, the Detroit Pistons are recognizing and rewarding these unsung heroes throughout the state of Michigan. After being nominated by fellow community members, friends, or family, selected Game Changers will be eligible to receive a complimentary Pistons game experience.
Who is eligible to be nominated?
Anyone making a positive impact within their communities who live in Michigan!
How do I nominate someone?
- Go to www.pistons.com/gamechangers and click “Nominate Now”
- Complete all required contact info for you and your nominees. Required fields are marked with asterisks.
- Tips: When nominating an individual, be sure to explain in your own words how the person’s work has made a positive impact in the community.
- What is it about him/her that stands out?
- How has their work made a difference in your community?
- Please share any additional information about your nominee that reflects the work they do in the community (photos, articles, website links, videos, etc.) (max of three). These can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please don’t nominate yourself
Selected individuals and groups will be contacted by the Community Relations Department. Please do not call to inquire about the status of your nomination.
Game Changers Grant ChallengeAdditionally, through the Detroit Pistons partnership with The LEAGUE Michigan (TLM) and the Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF), students across the state have the chance to showcase their “game-changing” community projects for the chance to win grant money that can help take their initiatives to the next level.
A portion of the tickets distributed through the Detroit Pistons Game Changers Program have been graciously provided by Genisys Credit Union and CBS Outdoor