The New Orleans Pelicans are holding auditions for their PeliKids Dance Team. The audition is open to boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 12 who are energetic, have dance experience and are interested in being part of an exciting hip-hop team that performs at Pelicans home games.
Saturday, August 16, 2014 | Pelicans Practice Facility (5800 Airline Dr, Metairie, LA 70003)
- Registration begins at 9:00 a.m.—ONLY ONE parent/guardian is to accompany the participant in the process.
- Auditions start promptly at 10:00 a.m. No one will be permitted to enter once the auditions start! Auditions are expected to end at approximately 3:00 pm (based on participants in attendance).
- A short lunch break will be given for those children who advance to Round 2. It is advised that you bring snack/lunch as there will be no food options in the practice facility. Anyone wishing to leave the premises for the short break must be back by the specified round 2 time in order for the child to be allowed to participate.
- Free parking is available at the practice facility.
- All choreography will be taught the day of the auditions. Children do not need to come prepared with an original routine.
- All applicants must be at least 7 years of age and no older than 12 years of age on August 16, 2014. Birthdays should fall between August 17, 2001 and August 16, 2007. No exceptions!
- Parent/guardian must complete a PeliKids application and a release form. Download an application here. All release forms will be signed during the registration period the morning of the audition.
- Proof of age is required to audition. You must provide a copy of your birth certificate when registering in order to tryout.
- At registration all applicants must also submit a recent photo. Photos do not need to be professional quality and WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
- Please wear dance wear and athletic shoes/sneakers. This is anything that your child can move comfortably in. There are no specific guidelines for attire.
Frequently asked questions:
What do the PeliKids do?
The PeliKids perform energetic hip hop routines at selected Pelicans home games. They may also make appearances at Pelicans events throughout the season.
What is the time commitment involved?
All PeliKids will need to be available for Monday night rehearsals. Performances will only be on weekend nights or during holidays so as not to interfere with school nights. Performance and practice schedules will be distributed before the start of the season.
How many spots are available?
All PeliKids must tryout every year to compete for their spot on the team. We are looking for about 20 dancers, but may choose more or less depending on the talent.
What are the judges looking for?
The judges will be looking for talented dancers who can catch on to the choreography and perform it with enthusiasm. Showmanship, personality, and confidence are key.
Is dance experience required?
Dance experienced is NOT required in order to audition, but it is definitely an advantage. Those with dance experience will more than likely be able to catch on to the choreography easier.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
2014-15 PeliKids Auditions Prep Classes
Get an edge over the competition! This year the Pelicans will be hosting a prep class for boys and girls ages 7-12 who are interested in auditioning on August 16th for our PeliKids junior hip hop dance team. Kids will learn some of the audition choreography to help them get a head start in preparing for the upcoming auditions.
Pelicans staff will also conduct an information session with the parents to discuss the audition process and we’ll talk about what you can expect if your child makes the team. Parents will also have an opportunity to ask questions. This is a great opportunity to find out more about our talented kids team and also to help your child be more confident at the auditions. There are no attire requirements; just come ready to dance!
PeliKids Audition Prep Class
Saturday, August 9th • 9:00 – 10:30AM
Location: Pelicans Practice Facility (5800 Airline Drive, Metairie, LA 70003)
Class Fee: $25
*Online registration is closed. Walk-ups are welcome. All walk-ups must pay cash only ($25 on arrival).