Five things to know about the Pelicans on Sept. 2
1) Pelicans training camp is exactly four weeks away from opening in Metairie. Media Day is set for Monday, Sept. 29, with Pelicans practice beginning the next day.
2) Numerous Pelicans players have already begun arriving for voluntary workouts, including the likes of Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Austin Rivers, Jimmer Fredette and more than a handful of others.
3) Due to their national team responsibilities, Anthony Davis and Omer Asik will likely report to Louisiana at some point during the latter half of September. Monty Williams has mentioned the possibility of lightening both players’ workloads in training camp due to their recent duties.
4) Davis and USA Basketball improved to 2-0 in pool play Sunday with a come-from-behind FIBA World Cup win over Turkey. The Americans play their third game today, facing New Zealand at 10:30 a.m. Central on ESPN2.
5) The Sunday loss dropped Asik and Turkey to 1-1 in pool play (Turkey opened with a narrow 76-73 win over New Zealand). Turkey is playing right now against Ukraine. The top four teams (of six) in Group C will advance to the Round of 16, which begins Saturday.