Five things to know about the Pelicans on Day 6 in Las Vegas
1) New Orleans officially announced the trade acquisition of Omer Asik on Tuesday, during a press conference at the team’s headquarters in Metairie. Watch the full press conference and check out a behind-the-scenes video.
2) Asik’s forte is defense, a skill that should help the Pelicans climb in the NBA rankings at that end of the floor, as well as match up against the Western Conference’s formidable frontcourt talent.
3) Read a primer of 10 things you should know about the Pelicans’ new 7-foot center.
4) At NBA Summer League, pool play concluded on Tuesday. New Orleans (2-1) used a tiebreaking advantage over several other 2-1 teams to earn a first-round bye and the No. 7 seed in tournament play, which begins today. The Pelicans are scheduled to play at 3 p.m. Central on Thursday in the Thomas & Mack Center, vs. the winner of today’s Dallas/Charlotte game (incidentally, that tip-off time is a slight change from the initially announced 3:30 p.m. Central).
5) If the Pelicans win on Thursday, they would advance to Saturday’s quarterfinal round and play at 3 p.m. Central (time tentative) against New York, Denver or the D-League Select team. A loss would mean they’d wrap up their Las Vegas game competition on Friday in the consolation round.