Five things to know about the Pelicans on Day 5 in Las Vegas
1) Back in New Orleans, the team has scheduled a press conference to make a major announcement at 1 p.m. Central today.
2) Anthony Davis was named to USA Basketball’s 19-player roster that will participate in training camp later this month.
3) The summer Pelicans will have a rare off day in Las Vegas, after playing back-to-back games Sunday and Monday. With a 2-1 record and having won eight of 12 possible quarters in pool play, New Orleans appears to have clinched a first-round bye in the upcoming NBA Summer League tournament. That means they will get to skip Wednesday’s opening round and advance into Thursday’s Round of 16. Their opponent and time of game Thursday are TBA. At the moment, the Pelicans are in fifth place in the standings, but that could change by a spot or two based on today's game results in Las Vegas.
4) On Monday, the Pelicans dropped a hard-fought 88-86 decision to the San Antonio Spurs. The game came down to the final shot, after New Orleans rallied to take the lead in the final minute. Russ Smith finished with a double-double consisting of 14 points and 10 assists.
5) Watch postgame video from Monday of Smith, DeQuan Jones and summer head coach Bryan Gates in Pelicans.com's video section.