Pregame report: Pelicans vs. Magic
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Notes from Jacksonville prior to Wednesday’s interconference preseason game:
• The Pelicans are expected to go with the same starting five as in the previous two wins, including point guard Jrue Holiday, shooting guard Anthony Morrow, small forward Al-Farouq Aminu, power forward Anthony Davis and center Greg Stiemsma.
• For the third straight game, the Pelicans (2-0 preseason) are playing against an opponent that is playing its first game of the exhibition schedule. The Magic (0-0) list their probable starters as Jameer Nelson, Arron Afflalo, Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless and Nikola Vucevic.
• Lazar Hayward (respiratory infection) is not expected to play for New Orleans. With Hayward unavailable, the Pelicans will have 12 players available tonight.
• Brian Roberts, who scored 17 points in the fourth quarter alone Monday at Dallas, on his return from an ankle injury in training camp: “I’m definitely a lot better right now. I’m more comfortable moving. It’s still a little bit of a process, but I’m close to (100 percent).”
• Monty Williams on Eric Gordon: “He’s making progress. He’s still working on conditioning. He’s getting reps with the guys (in practice). We’re still looking at that same timetable (of a return to game action in mid-October).”