Pregame report: Pelicans at Magic
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from the Amway Center prior to Friday’s interconference game between New Orleans and Orlando, the 2013-14 home opener for the Magic:
• Including two preseason matchups between these two clubs, the Pelicans and Magic are facing each other for the third time in the last 23 days. “They know us. We know them,” said Monty Williams, whose team won both October games.
• Williams said in pregame that he’s more encouraged than frustrated by Wednesday’s narrow defeat to Indiana. “We know we can execute better,” the fourth-year coach said. “I know how good we can be.”
• New Orleans is going with its same starting five as Wednesday vs. Indiana. Ryan Anderson (toe) and Darius Miller (foot) are inactive, meaning the other 13 players on the Pelicans’ roster are active.
• Williams said he’s been impressed with Anthony Morrow’s dedication to contributing on the defensive end. Morrow has been known almost strictly as a shooting specialist in his NBA career, but got two stops while guarding Indiana star Paul George man-to-man on Wednesday.
• Orlando’s listed starters are Jameer Nelson, Arron Afflalo, Maurice Harkless, Jason Maxiell and Nikola Vucevic, the same first five the Magic have used during their 0-2 start. Though Orlando is 0-2, it gave Indiana and Minnesota trouble in back-to-back road games this week, taking the Timberwolves to overtime.