Pregame report: Pelicans at Grizzlies
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from the FedEx Forum prior to Wednesday’s Southwest Division game between New Orleans and Memphis:
• The Pelicans will try to avoid giving up a big scoring quarter at the defensive end against the Grizzlies. In each of New Orleans’ three losses, it has allowed 30-plus points in at least one period, including 37 in the third last night vs. Phoenix.
• Monty Williams on his team’s focus against the outstanding Memphis inside tandem of Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph: “You’ve got to limit how many good looks they get.”
• The Pelicans are listing the same starting five for the fifth straight game. Ryan Anderson (toe) and Darius Miller (foot) are sidelined by injuries.
• Grizzlies first-year coach Dave Joerger on the Pelicans’ backcourt: “Jrue Holiday’s really, really good, an All-Star. Eric Gordon looks to me like he’s back to the Eric Gordon everybody loves, putting it on the floor and making threes. Anthony Morrow’s shooting really well coming off the bench.”
• Joerger on Anthony Davis: “He’s going to be an All-Star. I don’t know if it’ll be this year, but it won’t be long. He’s really long and able to shoot jump shots, but he’s got a quick first step.”
• Memphis has used its familiar starting five of last season in each of its first four games. The group includes point guard Mike Conley, shooting guard Tony Allen, small forward Tayshaun Prince, power forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol. Former New Orleans player Jerryd Bayless is the Grizzlies’ top scorer off the bench at 10.0 points per game.
• The Grizzlies are currently listing no injuries.