Five things to know on Day 7 in Las Vegas
1) Game 2 of summer league for the Pelicans is Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Central (5:30 Pacific in Las Vegas). New Orleans (1-0) will face the Milwaukee Bucks (1-0). Milwaukee’s roster doesn’t include many well-known NBA players, with 2012 lottery pick John Henson probably being the most prominent member. The Bucks also have Gustavo Ayon, who played major minutes for New Orleans in 2011-12.
2) The Pelicans have added multiple new faces this offseason, as one of the NBA’s most active teams. The summer squad will also receive a boost from new blood Sunday, when Jeff Withey and Pierre Jackson are slated to make their debuts. Both second-round picks had been delayed by their trades being finalized, but are understandably excited to play for the first time as Pelicans.
3) Jackson found himself in the unusual position Saturday of practicing with an NBA team for the first time in his Las Vegas high school’s gymnasium at Desert Pines. He also put on his New Orleans summer jersey for the first time just outside the gym where his No. 5 is retired.
4) Pelicans summer head coach Bryan Gates discussed his expectations for Jackson and Withey following Saturday’s practice.
5) Friday’s starting five was Brian Roberts, Austin Rivers, Darius Miller, Josh Owens and Jon Brockman. Withey, Jackson and Lance Thomas were all ineligible to play, but will be available against Milwaukee.