Five things to know on Day 15 in Las Vegas
1) Monday marks the opening of USA Basketball’s minicamp in Las Vegas. The Pelicans will be extremely well represented. Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson and New Orleans newcomer Jrue Holiday are among the 28 players on hand, while Monty Williams is a USA assistant coach. The Pelicans’ Jon Ishop is one of USA Basketball’s two athletic trainers. Of the 28 players, despite being only 25 years of age, Anderson is the third-oldest. Point guards Mike Conley and Ty Lawson are both roughly six months older than Anderson.
2) USA Basketball held a meeting for all participants on Sunday night, an introductory get-together. Head coach Mike Krzyzewski will now begin the process of evaluating players, some of whom will be selected to play in the 2014 FIBA world championships and/or the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
3) The minicamp consists of one practice per day Monday through Wednesday, from 2-4:30 p.m. (Central time). The week concludes with a showcase game on Thursday evening, an intrasquad contest at the Thomas & Mack Center, site of the 2007 NBA All-Star Game.
4) NBA TV will cover USA Basketball activities all week, starting with “Real Training Camp” on Tuesday from 2-4:30 p.m. Central. The 150-minute special will re-air multiple times on NBA TV. In addition, Thursday’s showcase is being broadcast by NBA TV, with tip-off at 8 p.m. Central.
5) Today also marks the debut of the “Black and Blue Report” that will air daily on Pelicans.com and NewOrleansSaints.com. The 30-minute online show will be broadcast every Monday through Friday at 1 p.m. Central and extensively cover both of the Crescent City’s major professional sports teams.