Five things to know about the Pelicans on Jan. 11
1) For the second straight Saturday, New Orleans’ two major-league professional sports franchises are both playing, however this time there should be no overlap in their games time-wise. The Saints kick off the day in Seattle at 3:35 p.m., followed by the Pelicans tipping off in Dallas at 7:40 p.m. Pregame coverage of Pelicans-Mavericks begins at 7 on Fox Sports New Orleans.
2) The news was not good Friday across the board for the Pelicans (15-20), beginning with the morning announcement that starting point guard Jrue Holiday will be out indefinitely with a stress fracture in his right shin. Watch Holiday’s pregame interview on the injury with local media.
3) Playing without Holiday in the first game of a home-and-home set vs. the Mavericks, New Orleans lost 107-90, falling behind immediately in the first quarter and never closing the gap.
4) The replacement starter at point guard for Holiday, Brian Roberts was saddled with foul trouble just three-plus minutes into the game and later had to sit in the second quarter with personal foul No. 3. Roberts has often played well as a fill-in starter for New Orleans in his one-plus seasons with the team, but finished Friday with just nine points and one assist.
5) New Orleans is in the midst of four games in six days against Southwest Division opponents. The Pelicans host division-leading San Antonio on Monday, attempting to even the season series with the Spurs at 1-1. Tickets are available here.