Five things to know about the Pelicans on Jan. 1
1) New Orleans traveled to Minneapolis on New Year’s Eve to start its unique four-game, eight-day road trip, including matchups against Minnesota, Boston, Indiana and Miami.
2) The Pelicans (14-15) face the Timberwolves (15-16) at 7 p.m. tonight in Target Center, with the winner moving into sole possession of ninth place in the Western Conference. The game is available locally on TV via NBA League Pass. The Pelicans Radio Network’s coverage begins at 7. The Pelicans will hold shootaround this morning at Target Center.
3) Jrue Holiday delivered in the clutch in Monday’s win vs. Portland, part of what’s been a solid season for the new Pelicans point guard.
4) The Pelicans finished with records of exactly 7-7 in both November and December. The reason they are currently one game below .500 overall? They lost their only October game, the home opener vs. Indiana.
5) Watch Tuesday post-practice video of Monty Williams, who said Eric Gordon’s status will likely be updated at Wednesday shootaround. Williams on Jason Smith: “I wouldn’t expect him (to return) any time soon.” In other player personnel news Tuesday, the Pelicans waived Lou Amundson, reducing the current roster to 14 players.