Pacers Drop Game to Boston, 85-77
July 7, 2012 | Updated: July 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Orlando -- The Indiana Pacers dropped their first game of the summer league Wednesday, losing to the Boston Celtics, 87-77, at the Amway Center.
The Pacers pretty much trailed the entire game, eventually falling behind by 14 points in the fourth quarter.
The Pacers' strong suit in their first two victories was defense, but it slipped against the Celts as Boston shot 51 percent from the floor and had six players in double figures. The Pacers also got outrebounded for the first time, 37-31.
"We played hard, but we didn't execute," said Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke, who is coaching the team here. "We played at a frantic pace and didn't defend like we did the first two games."
Lance Stephenson led the Pacers for the second straight game, scoring 19 points before fouling out. He also accounted for seven of the team's 17 turnovers after having no turnovers in Tuesday's victory over Oklahoma City. No. 1 draft pick Miles Plumlee had 18 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots for the Pacers. Former Purdue player Chris Kramer had nine points and Brownsburg's Julian Mavunga led the Pacers in rebounding with 12 to go with eight points.
"Miles got better and Julian produced off the bench again," said Burke. "He knows how to play and guys who know how to play the game stick out in this league."
The Pacers were without veteran Jeff Pendergraph (sore back) and Reggie Hamilton (sprained ankle).
On Thursday, the Pacers will play Utah at 3:00 p.m.
Boston Celtics Roster
- 63 Craig Brackins F 6-10 230 lbs. 10/9/1987 Iowa State
- 50 Dionte Christmas (Orlando Only) G 6-5 205 lbs. 9/15/1986 Temple
- 40 Jonathan Gibson G 6-1 171 lbs. 11/8/1987 New Mexico State
- 12 JaJuan Johnson F 6-10 221 lbs. 2/08/1989 Purdue
- 43 Kris Joseph F 6-7 215 lbs. 12/17/1988 Syracuse
- 52 Stephane Lasme F 6-8 215 lbs. 12/17/1982 Massachusetts
- 13 Fab Melo C 7-0 255 lbs. 6/20/1990 Syracuse
- 55 E'Twaun Moore G 6-4 191 lbs. 2/28/1989 Purdue
- 53 Larry Owens G-F 6-7 205 lbs. 1/8/1983 Oral Roberts
- 41 Jamar Smith G 6-3 185 lbs. 4/7/1987 Southern Indiana
- 7 Jared Sullinger F 6-9 260 lbs. 3/4/1992 Ohio State
- 56 Sean Williams F-C 6-10 235 lbs. 9/13/1986 Boston College
2012 Orlando Summer League Rules
- 10-minute quarters
- 3-minute overtime period(s)
- 5 full timeouts per team per game
- 2 one-minute mandatory TV timeouts per quarter on the first dead ball at 5:59 and then again at 2:59 on clock
- Maximum of 3 full timeouts to be used in the 4th quarter per team
- 1 :20 second timeout per team per half
- 1 full timeout and one :20 second timeout per overtime period per team
- Teams will be in the penalty on the 5th team foul of each quarter
- Teams will be in the penalty in overtime on the 3rd team foul
- No foul out rule – for each personal foul in excess of 6, the opposing team receives 2 free throws. For each personal foul in excess of 10, the opposing team receives 2 free throws and the ball.
- 10-minute halftime periods during games
- 10-minute intermission between games