Pacers to Participate in NBA Green Week
April 2, 2014
From April 3-10, 2014, the Indiana Pacers will be taking part in NBA Green Week. NBA Green Week is just one of the ways the league, its teams and players are taking steps to be more environmentally friendly. Throughout the week the NBA will highlight environmental initiatives including in-arena awareness nights, recycling programs, hands-on service projects and educational curriculum.
The Pacers and Republic Services have once again partnered to encourage fans to "Green Your Routine." Just follow these tips and you will be on your way to reducing your carbon footprint, reusing instead of wasting, and kicking bad habits to the curb.
Green Your Routine Tips:
- Start using reusable bags, as an added bonus a lot of stores offer a discount for using your own bags.
- Instead of buying plastic water bottles, invest in reusable ones. You will save money and help the planet.
Use cold water instead of hot water to do your laundry. Not only will you use less energy, but you'll also be able to do less loads since you can do colors and whites in the same wash using cold water.
Pay your bills online. By setting up automatic payments through your bank, you will save paper and never pay a late bill again.
- Buy a reusable travel coffee cup too. Some coffee shops give discounts for bringing your own mug or cup!
Unplug your appliances when they are not in use.
Instead of throwing out things you don’t use anymore, donate them. There are several local charities that will even pick them up from your home.
Shop at your local farmers market. Buy fresher food, support the local economy, and go green.
Try to do all of your errands at once to avoid multiple trips.
- Shop online too! Just don’t opt for overnight shipping.
Recycle. It’s easier than ever now. Even if you don’t set it out by your curb, you can find plenty of local drop bins. Visit www.earth911.com to find where to recycle everything from plastic to batteries.
Choose environmentally-friendly detergents and household cleaners—or make your own! Besides being better for your health, these products are safer for the environment, since what goes down the drain can end up in our oceans.
- Try to carpool or use public transportation.
- Bike or walk to places that are under two miles away.
- Park your car in the shade.
Playoff Priority Presale Registration »
Register to earn an opportunity to purchase single-game tickets for the playoffs