O'Neal Named Eastern Conference Player of the Week
by Conrad Brunner
New York, January 13, 2003 - Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week, while a pair of guards, the Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant and the Phoenix Suns Stephon Marbury, earned co-Western Conference Players of the Week honors for games played Monday, January 6 through Sunday, January 12, 2003.
O’Neal averaged 19.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.3 assists in leading the Pacers to a 4-0 record.
Bryant led the Lakers to a 3-0 week with averages of 34.0 points, 6.0 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 3.0 steals. Marbury helped lead the Suns to a 3-1 mark by averaging 28.0 points, 9.0 assists and 2.3 rebounds.
A look at O'Neal's week:
- Jan. 6 at Philadelphia – Had 17 points, including the game-winner with 1.7 seconds remaining, 13 rebounds and three blocks in 105-104 overtime victory against the Sixers.
- Jan. 8 vs. New York – Had 16 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals in home victory over the Knicks.
- Jan. 10 at Orlando – Had 21 points, four rebounds, four assists and a career-high three steals in 101-97 overtime victory against the Magic.
- Jan. 11 vs. Golden State – Had his best game of the week, tallying 23 points, 12 rebounds, a career-high five blocks and three assists in 12-point victory over the Warriors.
A look at Bryant's week:
- Jan. 7 vs. Seattle – Connected on an NBA single-game record 12 three-point field goals on his way to 45 points in the Lakers’ 119-98 victory over the SuperSonics.
- Jan. 10 vs. Cleveland – Collected his eighth career triple-double with 21 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists, to go along with four steals and three blocks, in the Lakers’ 115-99 victory over the Cavaliers.
- Jan. 12 vs. Miami – Completed his week by tallying 36 points, four assists, four steals and three rebounds in 106-81 victory over the Heat.
A look at Marbury's week:
- Jan. 7 at Portland – Had 20 points, seven assists and two steals in seven-point road victory over the Trail Blazers.
- Jan. 10 vs. Memphis – Had 25 points, 11 assists and three rebounds in 96-90 victory over the Grizzlies.
- Jan. 12 vs. Utah – Led the Suns to their 10th straight home victory with 38 points, eight assists, two rebounds and two steals in an eight-point victory over the Jazz.
Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Detroit’s Chauncey Billups, Miami’s Caron Butler, Sacramento’s Peja Stojakovic and Toronto’s Jerome Williams.