Jon Diebler - Draft Prospect Profile
Height: 6-6 Weight: 205lbs
Hometown: Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Jon Diebler enters his senior season as one of the most prolific scorers from behind the 3-point and free throw lines. During a successful junior campaign in 2009-10, he broke the all-time OSU records for career 3-pointers (260) and single-season 3s (116), earning 2010 Third Team All-Big Ten accolades by both the coaches and media in the process. He set single season (116) and career (260) records for made 3-pointers last season.
Diebler, one of three Buckeyes to pass the 1,000-point plateau last year, holds four of the Top 7 3-point shooting totals and three of the Top 5 single-season performances in OSU record books. From the charity stripe, he is an 83 percent shooter for his career (152-184) and hit a career-best 87 percent a year ago (69-79).
Diebler’s success has not come without hard work, however. He shot 29 percent (48-166) as a freshman from 3-point range and then 96-231 in 2008-09 (42 pct.), an improvement of 13 percent, before producing another 42 percent season with a 116-276 showing to lead the Big Ten. Now, with 328 career field goals, only 21 percent of those have come from 2-point range.
AS A JUNIOR (2009-10)
• One of three players to start all 37 games
• Holds the all-time OSU record for career 3-pointers (260) and single-season 3s (116)
• Finished the season atop the Big Ten in made 3s, besting his next competitor by 28 … was 15th in the NCAA in both made treys (3.1 per game) and percentage (.420)
• Holds four of the Top 7 3-point shooting totals and three of the Top 5 single-season performances in OSU record books
• Hit at least six 3-pointers in six games on the season and nine for his career
• Shot a team-best 87.3 percent from the free-throw line (69-79) and is a career 83 percent shooter from the line (152-184)
• Has made at least one 3-pointer in 46 of last 47 games (missed at Iowa 1/27/10) and hit at least five in nine games
• Just 68 of his 328 (21 percent) career field goals are from 2-point range
• Scored in double-digits 24 times, including two streaks of six-consecutive games
• One of three Buckeyes to pass the 1,000-point plateau during the season … has 1,068 to his credit
• In three NCAA games, averaged 15.3 points
• With a 3-pointer vs. Tennessee in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen, preserved a 71-game scoring streak (3/26/10)
• Broke single-season 3-pointer record in NCAA First Round against UCSB, tallying seven 3s for season-high 23 points (3/19/10)
• Knocked back seven 3s for 21 points in regular-season finale vs. Illinois (3/2/10)
• Grabbed a career-best seven rebounds at Iowa (1/27/10)
• paced Buckeyes in win vs. Indiana with 21 points (1/6/10)
• Led team with 17 points off five 3-pointers at Michigan (1/3/10)
• Scored a game-high 21 points against Eastern Michigan, marking the fourth time (of six) this season with 6+ 3-pointers
• Tied his then-season high with 22 points off six 3-pointers against Florida State (12/2/09)
• Scored a game-high 22 points in season-opening win vs. Alcorn State (11/9/09)
Personal: Son of Keith and Renee Diebler ... Has two brothers, Jeremiah and Jake. Jake played basketball at Valparaiso.
• Lists his greatest sports thrill as winning the state championship and recording a 27-0 record during his sophomore year at Upper Sandusky.