Do you have what it takes? Be a part of the excitement!
Auditions will be held on July 20 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse! Please revisit this page regularly for updates!
Follow us on Twitter! @Pacemates
Date: Monday, July 20, 2015
Bankers Life Fieldhouse (BLF)
125 S. Pennsylvania St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Parking is available within walking distance of Bankers Life Fieldhouse throughout the downtown area. You may also purchase parking in advance from select locations via ParkWhiz.com.
Registration: 5:00 pm
Auditions begin at 5:45 pm.
- Auditions on July 20 are open to the public.
- All candidates that are selected as finalists should be prepared to stay as late as needed (no exceptions) on July 20.
- All choreography is taught at the audition (you do not need to prepare a routine in advance for the July 20 audition).
- The first round will consist of 2-3 eliminations that may include freestyle, jazz technique and hip-hop choreography.
- Recommended items: Snacks, water bottle, towel, items to freshen up between rounds.
- If selected as a finalist, a photo shoot will take place after auditions.
VIDEO: 2014 Pacemates Auditions »
The Final Audition Showcase will be held on Thursday, July 30, 2015 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse and is open to the public.
VIDEO: 2014 Pacemates Showcase »
Leading up to the final showcase, all dancers that advance as a finalist must be available for the following rehearsals/events:
- Each candidate will be asked to participate in a 30-minute panel interview and a 30-minute photo shoot on Tuesday, July 21 between the hours of 8:30am-5:30pm. Times will be scheduled on July 20 after the finalists are chosen. Business casual attire is required for the panel interview and cocktail attire is required for the photo shoot.
- Tuesday, July 21- Rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- Wednesday, July 22- Rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- Thursday, July 23- Rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- Note: All finalists will be asked to perform 6-8 eight counts of their own choreography highlighting strengths and specialties at one of the above rehearsals. Music will be provided after the finalists are chosen on July 20.
- Tuesday, July 28- Tech Rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- Thursday, July 30- Audition Showcase- 7:00pm (Call Time- TBD) The 2015-16 Indiana Pacemates will be announced! (Remember, this event is open to the public!)
- Must be 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- Dancers must be able to attend rehearsals twice a week.
- If selected, dancers must have transportation to rehearsals and games.
- Must be available for all phases of the audition process and be prepared to stay as long as necessary (no exceptions)
- Must provide one non-returnable full-length photo (5x7 or larger preferred) or upload one via the registration page. Photos are used for identification purposes. Professional photos are suggested, but are not mandatory. Photos should be a current representation of what you will look like at auditions. SELFIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Must provide references on the registration form
- Must be of good moral character
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to commit to the Indiana Pacemates’ schedule, which includes but is not limited to all rehearsals, designated home games, community, charitable and corporate appearances for the entire contracted year.
- Sunday, August 17
Previous dance training and experience in both jazz and hip-hop. Tumbling skills are a bonus, but not required!
***It is highly suggested that you have a current passport and/or have plans to apply for one as soon as the team is announced. The cost of the passport and/or any expedite charges will not be reimbursed.
How to prepare
The 2015-16 Pacemates Audition Workshops will be held from 6-8:30pm at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on:
- Tuesday, July 7
- Thursday, July 9
- Thursday, July 16
Check-in for each session will begin at 5:30pm.
Workshop fee: $30 pre-registration/session (If you attend the first 2 workshops, the 3rd workshop will be $25.)
Although the workshops are not mandatory, it is beneficial to anyone planning to audition. Participants will learn routines that the Pacemates have performed on the court which will allow them to get an idea of the style of dance that will be taught at the audition. Participants will also have a chance to learn tips on how to look and perform during auditions and have the opportunity to ask questions about the audition process and the upcoming season.
- Salon 01 - the Official Salon of the Indiana Pacemates. Visit www.salon01.com for more information or call 317-580-0101 to make your appointment now. Let them know that you are auditioning!
What should I wear to both the audition workshops and auditions?
A two-piece dance outfit with flesh-colored tights. Midriff and legs must be exposed. No baggy clothing and no lingerie. You may wear any kind of dance shoe (preferred footwear- jazz shoes, jazz boots or sneakers- no wedge sneakers or bare feet). Please be sure they have non-marking soles. No high heels. No jewelry (stud earrings are acceptable). No tank tops or cut-off T-shirts. Must look professional. All tattoos must be covered up. Hair and make-up must be ‘game night ready’- COME TO AUDITIONS LOOKING GLAMOUROUS! Please wear hair down- no pony tails. Those candidates that make the finals will be asked to wear their own Pacers-themed apparel/colors to the final audition showcase (midriff bearing top with shorts/skirt). Finalists will also be asked to have a pair of plain black and/or navy lycra/spandex shorts for the showcase as well.
Also, if you are selected as a finalist on July 20, a photo shoot will take place after the actual audition. These photos will be used for online voting on pacers.com throughout the audition process. Finalists will be provided with attire for the photo shoot.
If I make the team, what is the commitment?
If you are selected, you will be contracted with the Indiana Pacemates from the date of auditions until the date of the next auditions (Summer 2016). Indiana Pacemates perform at all Pacers home games (preseason, regular and post-season included). Dancers must be able to attend practices twice a week beginning in mid-August 2015 (tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00-9:30pm). If selected, dancers must also have reliable transportation to rehearsals and games. Members are also asked to participate in appearances and various events on behalf of Pacers Sports & Entertainment throughout the contracted season.
What should I expect after being selected as a member of the 2014-15 Indiana Pacemates?
- Being a member of the NBA’s first dance team AND part of Indiana Pacers history!
- Experiencing the excitement of performing in front of over 18,000 Pacers fans at every home game
- Local & national media exposure- Just during the week of auditions, we have 1,000,000 hits on our website. Yes, 1 MILLION!!!!
- Potential travel opportunities! In the past 10 seasons, the Pacemates have traveled to Kosovo, Bosnia, Vienna, London, Iceland, Norway, Ft. Lewis in Texas, Seattle, South Dakota, Las Vegas, China, Taiwan, the Philippines and more!
- Acting as a role model and making a positive impact on the Indianapolis & surrounding communities by participating in various events
- Enjoying numerous perks such as professional hair make-overs and hair care by Salon 01- the Official Salon of the Indiana Pacemates, professional make-up application lessons by MAC, professional photography sessions, and so much more!
- Getting paid for something that you love to do!
- Making lifelong friends with your teammates!
Are there height and weight requirements?
No, but fitness is very important. You must be in good physical condition and proportioned for your height. We recommend that you follow a regular exercise program and healthy diet leading up to auditions and throughout the season if selected.
Is there a maximum age limit to be an Indiana Pacemate?
No. The minimum age is 18 years old, but there is no maximum age. The current team ranges from 19-29 years of age.
What will the coach/judges look for during auditions?
Candidates will be judged on appearance, glamour, fitness, dance ability, style, speaking ability, strength and execution of choreography, energy and projection.
Is being an Indiana Pacemate a full-time job?
No. Members of the Indiana Pacemates are either full-time students, hold full-time jobs or are full-time moms! The Pacemates get paid for their practice time, games and appearances.
Do current team members have to re-audition?
Yes. Everyone must go through the audition process each season and no one is guaranteed a place on the team.
For more information, please contact Michelle Duggan at (317) 917-2886 or firstname.lastname@example.org.