Green Your Routine 2013
April 4, 2013
April 4-12 is NBA Green Week. The Indiana Pacers & Republic Servies encourage you to "Green Your Routine."
Just follow these tips and you will be on your way to reducing your carbon footprint, reusing instead of wasting, and kicking bad habits to the curb.
1. Start using reusable bags, added bonus a lot of stores offer a discounts for using your own bags.
2. Instead of buying plastic water bottles, invest in reusable ones. You will save money and help the planet.
- Buy a reusable travel coffee cup too, some coffee shops give discounts for brining your own mug or cup!
3. Use cold water instead of hot to do your laundry. Not only will you use less energy, you also can do less loads since you can do colors and whites in the same wash using cold water.
4. Pay your bills online, by setting up automatic pay through your bank, you will save paper and never pay a late bill again.
- Shop online too! Just don’t opt for overnight shipping.
5. Unplug your appliances when they are not in use.
6. Instead of throwing out things you don’t use anymore, donate them. There are several local charities that will even pick up from your home.
7. Shop at your local farmers market, buy fresher food, support the local economy, and go green.
8. Try to do all your errands at once, to avoid multiple trips.
- Carpool, or use public transportation.
- Bike, or walk places that are under two miles away.
- Park your car in the shade.
9. Recycle, it's easier than ever now. Even if you don’t set it out by your curb you can find plenty of local drop bins. Visit Earth911.com you can find where to recycle everything from plastic to batteries.
10. Choose environmentally-friendly detergents and household cleaners—or make your own! Besides being better for your health, these products are safer for the environment since what goes down the drain can end up in our oceans.