Indiana Pacemates: 2014-15 Auditions
Have what it takes?
Auditions will be held on August 11th at Bankers Life Fieldhouse! Please revisit this page regularly for updates!
Follow us on Twitter! @Pacemates
Date: Monday, August 11th, 2014
Bankers Life Fieldhouse (BLF)
125 S. Pennsylvania St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
*There are many parking garages/lots around BLF.
- Online: Register online until August 8 at 5PM ET.
- In-person: 5:00pm on day of Auditions
Auditions: Begin at 5:45pm
- Auditions on August 11th are open to the public.
- All candidates that are selected as finalists should be prepared to stay as late as needed (no exceptions).
- All choreography is taught at the audition (you do not need to prepare a routine in advance).
- The first round will consist of 2-3 eliminations that may include freestyle, jazz technique and hip-hop choreography.
- Recommended items: Snacks, water bottle, towel, items to freshen up between rounds
- If selected as a finalist, a photo shoot will take place after auditions.
Note: The Audition Showcase will be held on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse and is open to the public.
Leading up to the final showcase, all dancers that advance as a finalist must be available for the following rehearsals/events:
- Interviews: Each candidate will be asked to participate in a 30-minute panel interview on one either August 13 or 14 following dates between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm. Times will be set on 8/11 after the finalists are chosen.
(We may or may not use both days for interviews- depending on the availability of the finalists)
- Wednesday, August 13 - Rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- Friday, August 15 - Possible rehearsal @ BLF- 6:00-10:00pm
- As a finalist, you will be asked to participate in one of the following appearances (One hour time slots TBD for each date).
- Friday, August 15
- Saturday, August 16
- Sunday, August 17
- Monday, August 18 - Rehearsal @ BLF - 6:00-10:00pm
- Tuesday, August 19 – Tech Rehearsal @ BLF - 6:00-10:00pm
- Wednesday, August 20 - Audition Showcase - 7:00pm (Call Time- TBD) The 2014-15 Indiana Pacemates will be announced! (Remember, this event is open to the public!)
If you are chosen as a member of the team, you will need to be available on Saturday, August 23rd for Hair appointments/make-over day at Salon 01, the official salon of the Indiana Pacemates!
- Must be 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- Dancers must be able to attend rehearsals twice a week.
- If selected, dancers must have transportation to rehearsals and games.
- Must be available for all phases of the audition process and be prepared to stay as long as necessary (no exceptions)
- Must provide one non-returnable full-length photo (5x7 or larger preferred) or upload one via the registration page. Photos are used for identification purposes. Professional photos are not mandatory. Photos should be a current representation of what you will look like at auditions
- Must provide references on the registration form
- Must of good moral character
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to commit to the Indiana Pacemates’ schedule, which includes but is not limited to all rehearsals, designated home games, community, charitable and corporate appearances for the entire contracted year.
Previous dance training and experience in both jazz and hip-hop. Tumbling skills are a bonus, but not required!
***It is highly suggested that you have a current passport and/or have plans to apply for one as soon as the team is announced. The cost of the passport and/or any expedite charges will not be reimbursed.
How to prepare
The 2014-15 Pacemates Audition Clinics will be held from 6-8:30pm at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on:
- Tuesday, July 22
- Thursday, July 24
- Thursday, July 31
Check-in for each session will begin at 5:30pm.
Clinic fee: $30 pre-registration/session (If you attend the first 2 clinics, the 3rd clinic will be $20.)
Although the clinics are not mandatory, it is beneficial to anyone planning to audition. Participants will learn routines that the Pacemates have performed on the court, which will allow them to get an idea of the style of dance that will be taught at the audition. Participants will also have a chance to learn tips on how to look and perform during auditions and have the opportunity to ask questions about the audition process and the upcoming season.
- Salon 01 - the Official Salon of the Indiana Pacemates. Visit www.salon01.com for more information or call 317-580-0101 to make your appointment now.
- Sun Tan City - Visit www.suntancity.com to find a location near you.
- Indy Laser - Visit www.indylasercenter.com for information on services offered.
What should I wear to both the audition clinics and auditions?
A two-piece dance outfit with flesh-colored tights. Midriff and legs must be exposed. No baggy clothing and no lingerie. You may wear any kind of dance shoe (non-marking soles). No high heels or jewelry (stud earrings are acceptable). Hair and make-up must be ‘game night ready’- COME TO AUDITIONS LOOKING GLAMOUROUS! Please wear hair down- no pony tails. Those candidates that make the finals will be asked to wear their own Pacers-themed apparel/colors to the final audition showcase (midriff bearing top with shorts/skort). Finalists will also be asked to have a pair of plain black and/or navy lycra/spandex shorts for the showcase as well.
Also, if you are selected as a finalist on August 11, a photo shoot will take place after the actual audition. These photos will be used for online voting on pacers.com throughout the audition process. Finalists will be provided with attire for the photo shoot.
If I make the team, what is the commitment?
If you are selected, you will be contracted with the Indiana Pacemates from the date of auditions until the date of the next auditions (Summer 2015). Indiana Pacemates perform at all Pacers home games (preseason, regular and post-season included). Dancers must be able to attend practices twice a week beginning in late August 2014 (tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00-9:30pm). If selected, dancers must also have reliable transportation to rehearsals and games. Members are also asked to participate in appearances and various events on behalf of Pacers Sports & Entertainment throughout the contracted season.
What should I expect after being selected as a member of the 2014-15 Indiana Pacemates?
- Being a member of the NBA’s first dance team AND part of Indiana Pacers history!
- Experiencing the excitement of performing in front of over 18,000 Pacers fans at every home game
- Local & national media exposure- Just during the week of auditions, we have 1,000,000 hits on our website. Yes, 1 MILLION!!!!
- Potential travel opportunities! In the past 9 seasons, the Pacemates have traveled to Kosovo, Bosnia, Vienna, London, Iceland, Norway, Ft. Lewis in Texas, Seattle, South Dakota, Las Vegas, China, Taiwan & the Philippines and more!
- Acting as a role model and making a positive impact on the Indianapolis & surrounding communities by participating in various events
- Enjoying numerous perks such as professional hair make-overs and hair care by Salon 01- the Official Salon of the Indiana Pacemates, tanning by Sun Tan City, services offered by Indy Laser, professional make-up application lessons by MAC, professional photography sessions, and so much more!
- Getting paid for something that you love to do!
- Making lifelong friends with your teammates!
Are there height and weight requirements?
No, but fitness is very important. You must be in good physical condition and proportioned for your height. We recommend that you follow a regular exercise program and healthy diet leading up to auditions and throughout the season if selected.
Is there a maximum age limit to be an Indiana Pacemate?
No. The minimum age is 18 years old, but there is no maximum age. The current team ranges from 19-29 years of age.
What will the coach/judges look for during auditions?
Candidates will be judged on appearance, glamour, fitness, dance ability, style, speaking ability, strength and execution of choreography, energy and projection.
Is being an Indiana Pacemate a full-time job?
No. Members of the Indiana Pacemates are either full-time students, hold full-time jobs or are full-time moms! The Pacemates get paid for their practice time, games and appearances.
Do current team members have to re-audition?
Yes. Everyone must go through the audition process each season and no one is guaranteed a place on the team.
For more information, please contact Michelle Duggan at (317) 917-2886 or firstname.lastname@example.org.