Last Updated: May 2018 | What's New?
Table of Contents:
- Data That We Collect and Receive
- How We Use Data
- How We Share and Disclose Data
- What Choices You Have
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Security of Data
- Third Party Sites and Sections
- Children and Parents
- Storing Data
- European Privacy Rights
- How to Contact Us
“The NBA Family” means the National Basketball Association (“NBA”), the Women’s National Basketball Association (“WNBA”), the NBA Gatorade League (“G-League”), the NBA 2K League, their respective teams, and each of their respective affiliates (also referred to as “we,” “our” or “us”).
By using any of the Services, you consent to the terms of this Policy.
When you interact with us through the Services, we may collect data from you or from other sources. This “data” may be information that you directly provide to us, such as personal information you provide when you visit the Services, or information that is passively or automatically collected from you, such as anonymous information collected from your browser or device.
The data we collect consists of:
- Data that you provide directly when you register for, or use, the Services. This data will vary, but typically consists of name, email address, postal address, phone number and other similar contact data. We also receive data from the communications you send to us, such as customer service inquiries, product reviews and other feedback regarding the Services.
- User credentials, such as username, password, password hints and similar security information used to create an account and authenticate users of the Services.
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, country and language preference.
- Payment data, such as credit card information and billing address.
- Device data, such as type of device, operating system and other software installed on the device, device settings, IP address, device identifiers and error reports.
- Usage data, such as the programs and features you access, items you purchase, and the timing, frequency and duration of your interactions through the Services.
- Location data, such as IP addresses received from your device.
- Information about your interests and preferences, such as your favorite teams and players, your home city or your communications preferences. In addition to what you provide directly, we may infer your interests and preferences from other data we collect, such as the content and advertisements you interact with while using the Services.
- Third party integrations. If you connect your use of the Services through a third party service (e.g., a social media platform), the third party may share certain information from your third party account with us.
- Other third party data, such as data from our affiliates, partners or vendors, data brokers or public sources.
We use the data we collect for the following purposes:
Operating our business. We use the data we collect to operate our business, including providing and improving the Services. Specifically:
- To fulfill transactions that you request.
- To deliver location-based Services and comply with territorial restrictions.
- To diagnose and fix problems with the Services and providing other customer support services.
- For analytical purposes to better understand our fans and how they use the Services, which allows us to continually improve and expand the Services.
- To build predictive models, which allow us to tailor the Services based on the data we have about how our fans use the Services.
Communicating with you. We use the data we collect to communicate with you, including responding to your requests or inquiries. Specifically:
- To respond to your request if you contact us with a question or concern.
- To provide information about your account, your use of the Services or other transactions that you request.
- To deliver news, updates and other types of communications, according to your subscriptions, alerts and other preferences.
Marketing and advertising. We use the data we collect for marketing or advertising purposes, on behalf of ourselves, as well as our partners and other parties. Specifically:
- To send you promotional messages and deliver advertisements about products, services, programs or events that may be of interest to you. These may be offered by, or on behalf of, the NBA Family, or by our partners and other third parties with whom we have a relationship.
The promotional messages and advertisements that you see may be determined by data that we collect or receive about you, such as your demographic data, location data, usage data, interests and preferences. We refer to this as “interest-based advertising”.
Security, compliance and enforcement. We use the data we collect for security, compliance and enforcement purposes. Specifically:
- To protect the safety and security of our fans and our Services.
- To detect and prevent abuse, fraud or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- To resolve disputes.
- To enforce our agreements, including our policies and terms of service that govern your use of the Services.
We may also use your data in any other manner as disclosed at the time of collection, or when we have otherwise obtained consent. Please also note that this Policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with aggregated, pseudonymized or anonymized data.
There are times when the data we collect may be shared by the NBA Family. We share your data for the following purposes:
Providing the Services. We sometimes engage or partner with other companies to operate the Services or perform certain functions on our behalf – for example, maintaining our fan database, delivering messages and advertising, operating our websites and digital platforms. We may provide these companies with access to your data as needed for them to perform these functions in a manner consistent with this Policy.
Among the NBA Family. We share personal data among the companies within the NBA Family for purposes consistent with this Policy.
As part of a change in business structure. In the event of a sale, merger, acquisition, reorganization or similar event, or in contemplation of such an event (e.g., due diligence), your data may be among the transferred assets.
When necessary under certain circumstances. We may disclose your personal data when we believe that disclosure is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process.
- Protect the safety and security of our fans or our Services.
- Prevent fraud, abuse or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- Protect the rights or property of us or third parties, including enforcing the terms of our agreements.
We may also share your data for any other purpose as disclosed at the time of collection, or when we have otherwise obtained consent. Please note that this Policy is not intended to limit our ability to share or disclose aggregated, pseudonymized or anonymized data.
You have many choices about how we collect, use and share your data.
Communications choices. You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional messages from the NBA and which types of messages you wish to receive. If you receive promotional messages from us and would like to opt out, you may do so by following instructions within those messages. You may also adjust your communications preferences by logging into your NBA account and viewing your preferences. Please note that these preferences do not apply to informational or transactional communications regarding the Services or other communications that have their own unsubscribe method.
Advertising choices. You can opt out of interest-based advertising as described in this section and in the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section of this Policy. When you opt out, your selection is stored on a cookie on your device. If you delete the cookie from that device or sign in from a different device, you will need to opt out again.
Because the data used for interest-based advertising is also used for other necessary purposes (including providing the Services and for authentication and security purposes), opting out of interest-based advertising does not stop the data from being collected nor reduce the number of advertisements you will see. However, the data will not be used for interest-based advertising, which means the advertisements you do see may be less relevant to you.
When using a mobile application, you may receive interest-based in-application advertisements. Depending on your device, you may be able to reset your mobile device’s advertising identifier at any time by accessing the privacy settings on your device. In addition, each operating system (e.g., iOS for Apple devices, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices) provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of interest-based in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating system in order to opt-out of interest-based in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact (or review the applicable privacy web page of) the applicable platform operator.
Other choices. You also have choices about the data you provide directly to us when you register for or use the Services. Please note, however, that if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide certain features of the Services, your use of the Services may not include those features.
You can access, edit or remove information in your user account by visiting https://secure.nba.com/membership/user/login/. If you cannot access your account, or if you would like to request that we delete other personal data referenced in this Policy, you may also contact us using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy.
You can choose not to share certain location data by adjusting the settings on your device. Please note, however, that if you choose not to share this data, you may not be able to access or use location-based Services.
You can choose to limit the data that third party services (e.g., social media platforms) share with us using the options provided to you by the applicable third party service (for example, the options provided by a third party social media platform when you connect your social media account with the Services). You can also disconnect your use of the Services from the third party service at any time using the options provided to you by the applicable third party service. Please note, however, that if you disconnect from the third party service, that will not delete the data we may have previously collected while you were connected.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files that are unique to your device or browser. They can either be session-based (i.e., lasting only while your browser is open and automatically deleted when you close your browser) or persistent (i.e., lasting until you delete them or they expire).
- Locally stored objects. Locally stored objects (“LSOs”), also commonly called “Flash cookies,” are stored on your device or browser to provide Services that use Adobe Flash technology.
- Web beacons. “Web beacons” or clear GIFs are small pieces of code placed on a Service to collect data about users of that Service.
- Software development kits. Mobile Software Development Kits (“SDKs”) are bits of computer code used by mobile app developers to enable or enhance various features of a mobile app. For example, an app developer may include an SDK within a mobile app that enables advertisements to be shown, data to be collected, and related services or analytics to be performed in connection with the mobile app.
We use Tracking Technologies for the following purposes:
- Sign-in/authentication. When you sign into your account to use the Services, we use Tracking Technologies to store your sign-in information. This allows the Services to remember your user preferences and give you a more tailored experience based on those preferences. It also allows you to use the Services without having to sign-in on each page or each time you return.
- Security. We use Tracking Technologies to help detect fraud and abuse of the Services, including attempts to access the Services without authorization.
- Analytics. We use Tracking Technologies to gather usage and performance data about the Services, including counting the number of unique visitors to a particular Service.
- Advertising. We use Tracking Technologies to track how many users have seen or clicked on an advertisement. This allows us to learn which advertising campaigns are most effective and also to help limit the number of times a user is shown the same advertisement.
- Interest-based advertising. We use Tracking Technologies to collect information about your interests so that we can deliver advertising that is most relevant to your interests.
- Tailoring the Services. We use Tracking Technologies to collect information about how you use the Services so that we can tailor your experience based on what is most relevant to your interests.
In some cases, we may work with third parties (for example, third party operators of the Services) to synchronize our unique, anonymous identifiers (such as those associated with Tracking Technologies) with the third party’s own identifiers. This enables us to better achieve each of the purposes described above.
Managing Tracking Technologies. Most web browsers give you the ability to manage Tracking Technologies used on a website, including blocking or deleting them. Please note that if you choose to block Tracking Technologies, you may not be able to use certain features that depend on those Tracking Technologies (such as keeping you signed in or remembering your preferences). If you choose to delete Tracking Technologies, any settings and preferences that were associated with those Tracking Technologies will also be deleted and may need to be reset.
You also have the following options to manage Tracking Technologies and opt out of interest-based advertising:
- For Flash cookies, you can access Flash management tools from Adobe’s website. In addition, some, but not all, browsers provide the ability to remove LSOs within cookie and privacy settings.
- You may opt out of receiving interest-based advertising on websites by visiting our Ad Choices page.
- You may opt out of interest-based advertising from companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) by visiting their website.
- You may opt out of interest-based advertising from companies that participate in the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting their website.
- Finally, you may opt-out of interest-based advertising by adjusting your device or browser settings.
Please note that opting out of interest-based advertising does not mean you will stop seeing, or see fewer, advertisements. It does, however, mean that the advertisements you do see will not be interest-based and may be less relevant to your interests.
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” features that send an automated signal to the websites that you visit using that browser. At this time, the Services do not recognize or respond to these signals. However, you can adjust your preferences regarding the data we collect using the tools and methods described above.
The NBA Family takes security seriously. We take a number of steps to protect your data from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the data we collect and use, as well as the current state of technology. This includes, for example, storing your data on systems that have limited access and are maintained in controlled facilities. We also use, and require our vendors to use, industry standard security protocols when processing any payments for your use of the Services.
It is important to remember that no system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We recommend that you help us keep your data safe by taking reasonable steps such as keeping your passwords private and not disclosing sensitive personal data in places that can be accessed publicly.
We work with a number of third parties to operate the Services. When we engage third parties in connection with operating the Services, those third parties may only collect, use or access your data as needed for them to perform these functions. These third parties include:
- NBA.com and other digital platforms. We have engaged Turner Digital Basketball Services, Inc. (“Turner”), including one or more of its affiliates, to operate the NBA.com website, mobile site and other digital platforms in the United States. The list of Turner affiliates that may receive access to your data includes Bleacher Report Inc., Cable News International, Inc., Cable News Network, Inc., Cartoon Interactive Group, Inc., Cartoon Network Enterprises, Inc., CNE Tours, Inc, CNN Interactive Group, Inc., Court TV Digital LLC, Courtroom Television Network LLC, Great Big Story LLC, Retro, Inc., Superstation, Inc., TBS Interactive Group, Inc., TCM Interactive Group, Inc., The Cartoon Network, Inc., TNT Interactive Group, Inc., TNT Originals, Inc., Turner Broadcasting Sales, Inc., Turner Classic Movies, Inc., Turner Digital Basketball Services, Inc., Turner Digital Entertainment, LLC, Turner Entertainment Networks, Inc., Turner Festivals, Inc., Turner Media Ventures, Inc., Turner Network Sales, Inc., Turner Network Television, Inc., Turner Pages, Inc., Turner Sports Interactive, Inc., Turner Sports, Inc., Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., Home Box Office, Inc., and Time Warner, Inc. Turner is a participant in the online self-regulatory program administered by the DAA and has agreed to adhere to the DAA’s principles applicable to interest-based advertisements. For more information about the DAA and other choices you have with respect to interest-based advertisements, please visit the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section of this Policy.
- NBA Local Destinations. We have engaged partners in certain regions to operate localized NBA-focused websites (“NBA Local Destinations”). As of the date on which this Policy was last updated, our NBA Local Destination operators are:
- 24Media Ltd. in Greece and Cyprus, available at: nba.sport24.gr
- ABS-CBN Corporation in the Philippines, available at: https://sports.abs-cbn.com/nba
- beIN Sports France in France, Monaco, Andorra, Mauritius, Madagascar, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, New Caledonia, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Wallis and Fortuna, Clipperton and French Southern and Antarctic Lands, available at: http://www.beinsports.com/france/nba/
- beIN Sports MENA LLC in certain countries in the Middle East and North Africa, available at: http://www.beinsports.com/ar/الدوري-الأميركي-للمحترفين/ (Arabic language), http://beinsports.com/en/nba/ (English language) and http://beinsports.com/fr/nba/ (French language)
- Delfi UAB in Lithuania, available at: https://www.delfi.lt/nba/
- Econet Media Limited in certain countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, available at: http://nba.kwesesports.com/
- Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A., Globosat Programadora Ltda. and Horizonte Conteúdos Ltda. in Brazil, available at: http://sportv.globo.com/site/nba/
- Maksimum Iletisim A.S. in Turkey, available at: https://www.sporx.com/nba/
- Perform Midco Limited in Austria and Germany, available at: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/index.html
- Perform Media Channels Limited in Australia, Canada and Japan, available at: http://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba (Australia), https://ca.nba.com/ (Canada) and http://www.nba.co.jp/ (Japan)
- Sky Italia S.R.L. in Italy, available at: https://sport.sky.it/nba/home.html
- Sports New Media Limited in the United Kingdom, available at: https://www.givemesport.com/nba
- Sports.ru LLC in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, available at: https://www.sports.ru/nba/ (Russia), https://ua.tribuna.com/nba/ (Ukraine) and https://by.tribuna.com/nba/ (Belarus)
- Shenzhen Tencent Computer Systems Company Ltd. and Tencent Technology (Shenzhen) Company Limited in the People’s Republic of China, available at: http://china.nba.com/
- The Sports Channel Limited in Israel, available at: https://nba.sport5.co.il/
- UDN.com Co., Ltd. in Taiwan, available at: https://nba.udn.com/nba/index
- NBA Store. We have engaged Fanatics, Inc., including one or more of its affiliates (“Fanatics”), to operate the NBA Store at store.nba.com. To learn more about how Fanatics collects, uses, protects and discloses your personal data, please visit https://fanatics.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/129/theme/standard.
- NBA Auctions/NBA Game Worn. We have engaged Commerce Dynamics, Inc. to operate the NBA auction site at auctions.nba.com (the “NBA Auctions Site”) and the NBA game worn site at nbagameworn.com (the “NBA Game Worn Site”). We have also engaged Meigray Group, LLC to sell merchandise through the NBA Auctions Site and the NBA Game Worn Site.
- NBA Photo Store. We have engaged Getty Images to operate the NBA photo store at photostore.nba.com. To learn more about how Getty Images collects, uses, protects and discloses your personal data, please visit https://www.gettyimages.com/company/privacy-policy.
- NBA Fantasy Games. We have engaged FanDuel, Inc. (“FanDuel”) and Yahoo! Sports (“Yahoo!”) to operate one or more fantasy games available at nba.com/fantasy. To learn more about how FanDuel collects, uses, protects and discloses your personal data, please visit https://www.fanduel.com/privacy. To learn more about how Yahoo! collects, uses, protects and discloses your personal data, please visit https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/privacy/products/sports/index.htm.
- NBA 2K League. We have partnered with Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (“Take-Two”) to operate the NBA 2K League, including the NBA 2K League site at 2kleague.nba.com. To learn more about how Take-Two collects, uses, protects and discloses your personal data, please visit https://www.take2games.com/privacy.
These third parties are only authorized to use your data as permitted under this Policy, or as disclosed to you at the time your data is collected. Please note, however, that these third parties may supplement data collected or received in connection with the Services with data they collect or receive through other websites, platforms and services, in accordance with the policies and disclosures posted on those websites, platforms and services.
The Services may also contain links to, or integrations with, other websites, platforms or services that are not operated or controlled by the NBA Family (each a “Third Party Site,” and collectively, the “Third Party Sites”). Please note that this Policy does not apply to those Third Party Sites. For more information on how those Third Party Sites collect, use and share data, we suggest that you contact the operators of those Third Party Sites directly.
Although there are NBA fans of all ages, the Services are not directed at children under the age of 13, and our policy is to not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and guardians to monitor their children’s online behavior, put parental control tools in place, and teach children not to provide their personal data through the Services without parental consent. For certain activities in which children are allowed to participate (e.g., Jr. NBA clinics), any request for personal data (such as registration data) is directed to the parent or legal guardian.
If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal data to us without parental consent, please contact us using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy, and we will endeavor to delete that data from our systems.
For children located in jurisdictions within the EU, we comply with the age limits applicable in each Member State. In these instances, the references above to the age of 13 will be deemed to be references to the age limits applicable in each Member State. Where this Policy refers to consent, this will require the consent of a parent or legal guardian in relation to any person under the age limits applicable in each Member State.
Personal data collected by the NBA Family may be stored and processed in the region in which it is collected, in the United States, and in any other region where we maintain major operations. We maintain offices in Brazil, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States. We take steps to ensure that the data we collect under this Policy is stored and processed in accordance with this Policy regardless of where the data is located. By providing personal data in connection with the Services, you acknowledge and agree that such personal data may be transferred from your current location to the offices and servers of the NBA Family and our authorized third party service providers located in the United States. Our practice when transferring personal data is to rely on standard data protection contract clauses or individual consent.
We retain personal data for as long as necessary to provide the Services and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other necessary purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes and enforcing our agreements. Because these factors vary for different types of personal data, actual retention periods may vary. The criteria we use to determine the appropriate retention periods include:
- How long is the personal data needed to provide the Services? This is the baseline for most data retention periods.
- Do users expect that we will retain the personal data until they affirmatively remove it? For example, if a user is able to directly access, edit or remove the personal data at any time, we may maintain the data until the user affirmatively removes it.
- Is the personal data of a sensitive type? If so, a shortened data retention period will generally apply.
- Has the user provided consent for a longer retention period? If so, we will retain the data in accordance with the user’s consent.
- Are we subject to a legal, contractual or similar obligation to retain the personal data? If so, we will retain the data in accordance with our obligations.
We adhere to applicable data protection laws in the European Union (“EU”). In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), users who are located in the EU have the following rights:
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, the right to withdraw consent for future processing of that data.
- The right to request from NBA Properties, Inc. (“NBAP”), a “data controller” as defined under the GDPR, access to and rectification of your personal data.
- Subject to limitations as provided for in the GDPR, the right to request restriction of the processing of your personal data.
- Subject to limitations as provided for in the GDPR, the right to request erasure of your personal data.
You may contact NBAP using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy. You may also contact our London office by any of the following methods:
- By writing to us at Endeavor House, 189 Shaftesbury Avenue, 6th Floor, London, United Kingdom WC2H 8JR; or
- By calling us at +44-20-7420-8900.
We may change this Policy from time to time to reflect changes in our business, the Services, or our practices and procedures. If we do make changes, we will post any changes on this page and indicate the date on which the Policy was last revised. We encourage you to review this Policy periodically, especially before you provide personal data directly to us through the Services. Your continued use of the Services after any changes to this Policy are in effect constitutes your acceptance of the revised Policy.
Although we strive to make this Policy as comprehensive as possible, we know you may still have questions or concerns about how we collect, use and share data. If you have a question, concern or complaint regarding our data privacy practices, you may contact us by any of the following methods:
- By writing to us at 645 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022, Attn: NBA Fan Relations;
- By sending an email to FanRelations@nba.com; or
- By calling us at (212) 407-8000.