NBA Establishes Revised Arena Guidelines for All NBA Arenas
Posted Feb 17 2005 1:26PM
NBA Fan Code of Conduct to be posted prominently in all NBA arenas
NEW YORK, Feb. 17 -- The National Basketball Association today issued to all teams a revised set of Arena Guidelines, according to NBA Deputy Commissioner and COO Russ Granik. The Guidelines include policies dealing with the deployment of security personnel, alcohol sales and a new Fan Code of Conduct.
The Arena Guidelines were prepared in consultation with NBA teams and arena operators, crowd management and security experts, law enforcement officials, members of the concessions industry and representatives of TEAM (Techniques for Effective Alcohol Management).
The NBA Fan Code of Conduct, which sets forth expected standards of decorum for all fans attending NBA games, will be posted prominently in all NBA arenas, and public address announcements concerning some of its key elements will be made during each NBA game. Guests who fail to adhere to these standards will be subject to ejection and revocation of season tickets.
The new Guidelines also set forth minimum standards regarding the serving of alcohol, including the provision that alcohol be served only until the start of the fourth quarter, restrictions on the size (24 ounces) and number (two) of alcoholic beverages sold per individual customer, the training of arena personnel in effective alcohol management, and the maintenance of designated driver programs in each NBA arena.
The Arena Guidelines will go into effect for all NBA games beginning with the All-Star Game in Denver on Sunday, February 20.
The National Basketball Association, (team name), and (arena name) are committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable sports & entertainment experience. NBA fans have a right to expect an environment where:
· Players will respect and appreciate each and every fan.
· Guests will be treated in a consistent, professional and courteous manner by all arena and team personnel.
· Guests will enjoy the basketball experience free from disruptive behavior, including foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.
· Guests will consume alcoholic beverages in a responsible manner. Intervention with an impaired, intoxicated or underage guest will be handled in a prompt and safe manner.
· Guests will sit only in their ticketed seats and show their tickets when requested.
· Guests will not engage in fighting, throwing objects or attempting to enter the court, and those who engage in any of these actions will immediately be ejected from the game.
· Guests will smoke in designated smoking areas only.
· There will not be any obscene or indecent messages on signs or clothing.
· Guests will comply with requests from arena staff regarding arena operations and emergency response procedures.
The arena staff has been trained to intervene where necessary to help ensure that the above expectations are met, and guests are encouraged to report any inappropriate behavior to the nearest usher, security guard or guest services staff member. Guests who choose not to adhere to these provisions will be subject to ejection without refund and revocation of season tickets and may also be in violation of city ordinances resulting in possible arrest and prosecution.
The NBA, (team name,) and (arena name) thank you for adhering to the provisions of the NBA Fan Code of Conduct.