Ben Couch · BROOKLYNNETS.COM
By Ben Couch
BROOKLYN—Monday at Barclays Center, the Nets came back in the fourth to beat the Wizards, 106-101. Former Washington center Andray Blatche and forward Kris Humphries led the Nets with 20 points each, while rookie Toko Shengelia chipped in his first career double-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, a block and a steal. Mirza Teletovic added 14 points and five rebounds.
Four of the five regular starters (Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans and Brook Lopez) were out for tonight's game due to nagging injuries, as were Jerry Stackhouse and Keith Bogans.
A few observations:
- 11:23 – Kris Humphries with another jumper. He's 7-of-15 so far.
- 8:39 – Nifty crossover from Tyshawn Taylor, who blew through the Wizards' D for a layup.
- 8:07 – Big-time block for Toko Shengelia, though it's negated by a touch foul.
- 7:15 – A three for Mirza Teletovic and it's a two-point game. Nets have never led.
- 5:58 – Three for Tyshawn, and it's within one ...
- 4:57 – Transition drive for Toko, who evades the defender and puts the Nets ahead for the first time this game. The rookie forward has 10 points and 10 boards in 21 minutes.
- 3:42 – That block counted! Toko sticks with John Wall and swats the Wizards' PG out of bounds. Crowd is loving this.
- 3:19 – After Toko splits free throws, the Nets pull down the offensive rebound and Mirza puts them up by two.
- 2:30 – Another MT3, and the Nets lead by three. 14 for Mirza tonight.
- 1:43 – Cartier Martin's three is good, and it's tied up. Down to the wire we'll go ...
- :55.5 – Blatche pulls down the offensive board, and his putback is good. The former Wizard is gunning for a win here.
- :22.0 – Back-breaking three from Tyshawn Taylor, who just put the Nets up five. The kid sure seems to have the clutch gene.
- 11:33 – Catch and shoot J for Andray Blatche. That is a smooth-looking shot.
- 8:51 – Gerald Wallace finishes in traffic: layup+1.
- 8:39 – Smooth feed from Andray Blatche to C.J. Watson, and the triple makes it a three-point game.
- 3:43 – Two straight baskets for Kevin Seraphim.
- 3:13 – Dray grabs an offensive board and gets fouled while sinking the putback. He makes the free throw, ending a streak of nine straight misses by the Nets.
- 1:57 – Another nice little baseline jab-and-J from Kris Humphries.
With their No. 4 seeding locked and many players banged up, the Nets opted to rest four of the five starters and two key reserves. Gerald Wallace started after missing the team's previous two games with a lower left leg contusion. John Wall set to work early, running the Wizards to a 30-13 advantage in the first 8 1/2 minutes.
The Nets were able to grind the game back during the second quarter, receiving boosts from Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and Andray Blatche, who each chipped in at least four points. European imports Mirza Teletovic and Toko Shengelia combined for 10 points off the bench.
Minutes will be plentiful for the regular reserves the rest of the way, so it will be on them to better define their roles in this more extended run.
- 10:48 – Toko gets a steal and flies up court. Can't convert the layup, but gets his own offensive rebound. His NBA future is in how much he can round out the game beyond his hustle.
- 10:13 – Mirza Teletovic just got whistled for an offensive foul when slapping away Jan Vesely's reach-in attempt. Hm.
- 7:45 – Jab-step jumper for Humphries. Nets second unit is much more dangerous if he's confident in that shot.
- 7:07 – Trevor Booker wound up to power dunk, and Mirza used the moment to poke the ball loose. Good awareness.
- 5:34 – Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace just threw consecutive behind the back passes, resulting in a layup for Teletovic. Yup.
- 3:44 – Offensive rebound and tip-in for MarShon, who is a better rebounder than perhaps his minutes reveal.
- 2:26 – A triple for Tyshawn. If he can convert consistently from long-range, his quickness will become a solid weapon.
- :01.2 – Nice up-and-under reverse by Andray Blatche, who pulls the Nets within six.
- 7:41 – With two fouls on C.J. Watson, Tyshawn Taylor gets the early call. Big opportunity for the rook tonight.
- 4:23 – That jumper by John Wall was his seventh point, to go along with five assists. The Wizards have 28 already, and they are running. Phew.
- 2:51 – Point center everything for Andray Blatche. That's always fun.
- :41.6 – Two straight baskets for MarShon Brooks.
Brooklyn Nets (48-33)
|G · C.J. Watson||G · MarShon Brooks||F · Gerald Wallace||F · Kris Humphries||C · Andray Blatche|
Keith Bogans (tight lower back) is OUT.
Reggie Evans (sore left shoulder) is OUT.
Joe Johnson (sore left heel) is OUT.
Brook Lopez (mid back contusion) is OUT.
Jerry Stackhouse (stiff neck) is OUT.
Deron Williams (Left knee contusion) is OUT.
Washington Wizards (29-52)
|G · John Wall||G · Garrett Temple||F · Cartier Martin||F · Trevor Booker||C · Emeka Okafor|
Leandro Barbosa (torn left ACL) is OUT.
Bradley Beal (stress injury, right fibula) is OUT.
Martell Webster (strained abdomen) is DOUBTFUL.
Trevor Ariza (sore left knee) is QUESTIONABLE.
For more, view the Game Photo Gallery
|20 PTS, 12 REB, STL
9-21 FGs, STL
|11 PTS, 11 REB
|"I'm so happy that we're (in the playoffs), but I was looking forward to today because this was my game, this was my playoffs. I just wanted to go out there, have fun and show everyone what I could do a blittle bit."|