Ben Couch · BROOKLYNNETS.COM
By Ben Couch
DENVER—Friday at Pepsi Center, the Nets fell behind early and lost to the Nuggets, 109-87. Deron Williams led Brooklyn with 19 points while Reggie Evans chipped in 15 points and a game-high 16 rebounds. Andray Blatche (8-11 FGs) added 16 points off the bench.
- 9:36 – Short hook by Kris Humphries and the Nets are within 12. A stop here and they can get within single digits.
- 8:51 – Stepback fadeaway by Andray Blatche, who has been on fire tonight. Up to 14 points.
- 6:11 – Nets scoring buckets, but can't seem to get closer. Nuggets playing well.
- 3:28 – The lead is 17. Nets send out Tyshawn, MarShon, Toko, Mirza and Humphries. Chance to earn more minutes if P.J. likes how they handle this.
- 10:24 – Rough shot from D-Will, who was attempting to draw a foul, and the Nugs get two the other way.
- 9:43 – Three straight transition plays for Denver, which leads by 22 after a free throw by Gallo.
- 8:24 – After getting fouled while scoring, Brook Lopez has put up five straight for the Nets.
- 6:48 – Scout sitting next to me poitns out Nets are already in the bonus. Could help slow the game down and close the gap.
- 6:28 – JaVale McGee is dunking a lot.
- 5:21 – Andray Blatche is having a nice quarter, with six points since relieving Brook.
- 3:46 – Nice dish from Deron to MarShon on a backdoor cut, following a triple on the previous possession. Nets close to 13.
- 1:13 – Reggie with (yet another) aggressive post hook. JaVale McGee palms it out of the air, but on the way down. Goaltend.
- 0:00 – C.J. Watson three at the buzzer closes it to 14 entering the fourth. Nets have a chance with an early run.
The Nuggets raced out to an early advantage, up 14-8 behind six points from Kosta Koufos, and broke the game open in the second quarter, when the Nets went scoreless for more than four minutes (not hitting a field goal for five). Denver's production has been typically balanced, with six players scoring at least five points, and has come on the interior – they lead 32-14 on points in the paint.
Nets interim head coach P.J. Carlesimo is running a deep rotation, likely to account for both playing at altitude and the absence of Joe Johnson, and played an all-reserves lineup for much of the second quarter. The Nets must come out of the locker room ready to make a run, or it's likely the faster, deeper Nuggets will continue to widen the lead.
- 8:38 – Tyshawn Taylor checks in, and the Nets are running for extended minutes with an all-reserves special: Ty, MarShon, Jerry Stackhouse, Kris Humphries and Andray Blatche.
- 7:37 – Out of the timeout, Wilson Chandler hits a 3, and the Nuggets lead by 10 for the first time.
- 6:52 – Turnover by Brook (the Nets' sixth) and the Nuggets get another layup. Twenty-eight of 42 points in the paint. Lead to 14.
- 6:08 – Great job by Kris Humphries to get back in transition and swat Corey Brewer's dunk attempt at the rim. Fans at Pepsi Center were displeased.
- 4:52 – Offensive foul for Kosta Koufos. Would be good time for the Nets to take advantage – they've gone four minutes without a point. Lopez misses two free throws. That's a rare occurence.
- 4:13 – Deron just missed one. Uh oh. Next one is up, and ... there it is. Brooklyn back on the board.
- 3:15 – Three-Will! Nets break the cold streak.
- 2:07 – Crash nails his second long jumper of the game. Floor spacing is much better when he's doing that.
- 10:07 – Deron calls Brook over for a high screen, then crosses over away from it as Brook rolls wide. Faried able to recover and force Brook's drive to remain vertical rather than in toward the basket. Hook shot missed, but that was good chemistry between Brook and Deron.
- 9:31 – Nice inbounds play to get Deron a floater.
- 8:25 – Jump pass from Deron to Reggie Evans underneath. Passed up a fairly open three. Lotta trust in Reggie these days.
- 5:30 – Smooth three for Deron coming out of the timeout. Shrinks deficit to four.
- 5:05 – Kosta Koufos getting quick shots up to take advantage of Nets' interior D. He's got 10 on 5-of-6 shooting, showing the Nets can't cheat off him tonight.
- 1:13 – Crosscourt pass by Deron is intercepted by Corey Brewer, who drives in for a layup. Nuggets have scored 22 of their 26 points in the paint. They're good at that.
Brooklyn Nets (42-30)
|G · Deron Williams||G · Keith Bogans||F · Gerald Wallace||F · Reggie Evans||C · Brook Lopez|
Joe Johnson (sore left heel, right quad contusion) is DOUBTFUL.
Denver Nuggets (50-24)
|G · Andre Miller||G · Andre Iguodala||F · Danilo Gallinari||F · Kenneth Faried||C · Kosta Koufos|
Julyan Stone (sprained MCL, right knee) is OUT.
Ty Lawson (right heel strain/contusion) is OUT.
For more, view the Game Photo Gallery
|15 PTS, 16 REB
5-7 FGs, 5-9 FTs
|On the altitude in Denver:
"I tell you, I thought my lungs were going to explode. It was tough. They definitely got an advantage because of that. They got an advantage. I came out there, and the first 2-3 minutes I thought I'd run bout 10 miles!"